1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle of death after jumping a dead batt.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hunglow, Sep 5, 2021.

1. Hunglow

Hunglow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey there, new to Prius but not hybrid cars. Over own a Nissan, and a Hyundai hybrid before with little problems.

Ok So I have been given this car after a family member passed. The run was running fine, but the stopped for about 6 months. After the whole family thing happen, someone tried to move the car, and noticed it was dead (battery).
    The car was jumped but around the Conner the triangle, engine, vsc, ECT lights came on, they didn't know what it was so just parked the car.

A nother or so later I was told to pick it up, did the same thing, jumped it, the alarm went on, true it off, the touch screen when on, and so on. Drove it for about 1 mile, when the monitor stopped workin, a bit later, the lights came on.

I've read about it and now can't find the problem. Tried cleaning the fan for the big batt, it gave me a code about the 6ty bay not working. Bought a new 12v batt, 250 crazy expensive being so small.

At this point I don't know what to do, I can reset the lights for bit, drive it and about 15 mins later it comes back on, the lights, and also the batt fan turns on and won't turn back off.
    I also noticed that when I remove the 12v batt the alarm doesn't turn on anymore, weird, you would think it would do it every time, and the touch screen doesn't turn on anymore.

Any ideas, I'm wondering if it should just be donated.
    Never had problems like this with my other hybrids...

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Which device/App are you using to retrieve the above OBD2 code (DTC), and what was the actual code that was reported?

Which part of California are you near?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Hunglow

Hunglow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello, I'm in Hayward. Don't know the name of the tool, took it to an auto part store, they had one of those big scanners. The codes I was given were Hello, i live near Hayward. I don't know what tool it was, it was from an auto parts store, they used a big scanner, that codes were p0a80 and p301.

4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the above codes (DTCs), you have at least one failing module within the HV battery. Depending on the compatibility of the scanning device there could be other OBD2 codes that aren't being retrieved as well.

How long would you like to keep this vehicle if it were operating as expected?

Did you have an interest in a DIY fix, or would you be paying someone to make the problem go away?

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

5. Hunglow

Hunglow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was recommended to get Dr Prius, might download it later. I would like to keep the car. I normally work on my vehicles myself, but I'd rhere is an inexpensive place I could do that.
    I've read different things that could be the problem. I don't know, but a problem presenting it self after a vehicle jump makes me think that something shorted out. I read about cleaning the bus on the big battery, probably will start there, just don't see that being the problem with things like the monitor going out and the lights after jumping the car.

6. Hunglow

Hunglow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cleaned the post on the HV battery, they were a bit corroded, put everything together. Nothing changed.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cleaned what post on the HV battery?

8. harryarcos

harryarcos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be worth mentioning that there is special terminal inside the main fuse box for jumping the starting battery and that it should not be jumped by the usual method. A used car dealer told me that he had wrecked the inverter on the Prius he had for sale by jumping the battery, but whether or not this is likely, I do not know.

9. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the car was sitting for six months unused, as the original post seems to say although the typos make it hard to decipher, the HV battery may be expected to have problems.

10. J Leonard

J Leonard Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Had similiar problem. Picked up a car that I had repaired the hybrid battery. Drove 1200 mi home. Next morning 12v was low so I removed it to charge. Car was in way so I used a large battery to jump it just to move it. Dont' know whether wires touched or wrong polarity but killed car. Only headlights were on whether switch on or off. Got similiar codes. Took me several days to sort out what all had happened. The fusible 100 amp fuse in the main fuse box and two little fuses all blew and the 5 amp fuse at battery. Fixed those and still had triangle because 12v was not charging. Read post and replaced just the board from the bottom of the inverter. All good now. Since I got all parts at yard repaired for about $60. Hybrid battery in spite of codes was fine, just cooked the inverter board underneath. Check your fusible link and fuses and then check to see if 12v is charging when in ready mode. If not try replacing inverter board. Probably didn't need the battery, just fix the 12v charging system by changing inverter board. Good Luck. If questions ask.