1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

triangle of death and check engine light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mick777, Oct 5, 2018.

1. mick777

mick777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    long story. 3 weeks ago i had to replace the inverter pump on my 2006 prius. while i was waiting for the part i took everything out and checked the voltage on all the cells in my battery pack. they all checked out at 7.7volts.
    i also checked the 12 volt battery an it was at 12.6 volts. today i was 60 miles from home and the triangle of death and the check engine light came on. rather then pull over and shut the car off i decided to try to make it home. for the first 30 miles the screen showed the battery completely empty. after that it started to show the battery pack being charged and helping to propel the car. occaisionally it would show the battery empty but soon go back to showing charging and discharging. i tried to turn on the cruise control but it would not come on. (i think that is a clue but i don't know what it means). i made it all the way home and turned off the car and tried turning it off and on a few times and it worked fine. i disconnected the 12 volt battery and checked the voltage and it was at 12.7 volts. disconnecting the battery shut off the triangle of death and the check engine light. any ideas as to what could be going on?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A proper hybrid OBD2 code reader would help you (or someone) figure this out, but now that you've disconnected the 12v and erased the code(s) that wont help until the next time you need one.

Assuming the new pump you've put in the vehicle is working (and you didn't damage the inverter by overheating it), then there could be more air in the system. You need to finish bleeding and or adding SLLC to the inverter reservoir.

The cruise control not working (same for the AC), is how the Prius protects itself from overheating the inverter. Once the inverter cools down both with function again until the cycle repeats itself, which you've noticed already.