1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle of Death But No Codes???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cory151, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Working on a 2010 with 156k miles that threw a P0A80 on two separate occasions. Once before the 12v battery was changed, then the day after the 12v change. Decided to change the HV traction battery today with one from a wrecked 2014 with 56k miles.

After changing the HV batt I started getting the yellow triangle with no code associated with in. I would clear the code and drive the car a few minutes and then the triangle "check hybrid system" would appear.

Thought Id put it out on here before I break down and take it to the stealership as a last resort. Has anyone had this issue?

2. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What device are you using to pull codes? Ordinary ODB-II readers might not display all of the Prius error codes

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It should be more to the error code P0A80

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you forgot to plug some things in.
    For example, did you clean the fan? (for all batteries, to fulfill warranty requirement you must clean the fan) Perhaps you left on its connections unplugged.
    Recheck all connections.
    If you are using techstream there should be some additional indication of the error.

5. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ive used two different OBD II readers neither of them show a code even though one of them will clear it even though it simply comes back in 10 min of driving. Ive pulled failed invertor pump codes off a prius before which is pretty specific to hybrids I would think.

I do not own any Windows machines so I have no plans to run the corrupt Techstream floating around the internet.

Has anyone here changed a Gen III HV battery? If so were there any issues after the install with the triangle?

If I see a fan in a prius I clean it, always. I confirmed the fan is running and plugged in. I disconnected/reconnected all 5 wiring harness points where the battery and the car meet, last night while trying to get the code to clear.

The only thing else a P0A80 sub code will show is what bank the out of balance cell resides, which is useless info if your replacing the entire pack. Which I did. Now there are no scannable codes. What else ya got?

#5 Cory151, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The other thing that came to mind is whether the replacement pack is possibly bad/damaged.
    It could be filled with garbage modules for all we know.
    The lid does not guarantee what's inside.
    I would have opened it up to confirm module age, etc. If the buyer warrants the pack to not be DOA, you might want to take them up on it. But you've have to check with them whether it d be eligible, since you don't have a code.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did you rotate and "slide" the Safety Switch to lock it in place? That is the most common problem seen on here.

8. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes sir, I am well versed in that one on both the gen 2 and 3. The difference is the car won't actually start and run the IC engine with that plug out so I know its in correctly as the 12v battery alone cannot start the IC engine. Thanks though(y)

Good heads up, this is what I am now leaning towards. Looks like I may have to get one from Toyota.

#8 Cory151, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
    jdcollins5 likes this.
  9. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    "corrupt Techstream"?

I assume you're a Mac user with a very "fanboi" understanding of things.

As someone who has used both, I'm immune to the brainwashing that is Apple. There's a reason they don't have a larger market share, and there are even bigger reasons they aren't used in enterprise environments.

Your concerns are COMPLETELY unfounded, and you are deliberately crippling your efforts.

If you're doing this commercially, you should probably invest in the tools you need for success instead of pumping a forum for info so you can profit.

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Techstream that's available requires 32-bit Windows, which is quite old. I bought an old laptop for $100, which does nothing but Techstream. I keep it in my garage, like any other tool.

11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    And it will run under virtual XP on Win7, and it can be made to work on 64bit systems with a little extra effort.

The claim that it is corrupt in any way is completely false.

12. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You made two posts saying basically the same thing basically that Im lying about reports of corruption regarding Techstream and there is zero instances of corrupt Techstream software available. I didn't ask for you opinion of my opinion as it doesn't relate to the specific issue, so Im gonna assume you and I have a problem.

You think you're the first and only person to run both PC and Mac (you can't be THAT stupid)? I guess having run both PC and MAC makes you the subject matter expert on computers then? :ROFLMAO:
    Completely unfounded huh? So your saying I made this whole thing up? Why take my word for it? Feel free to do a browser search with the words "Techstream, malware, viruses, trojans." Here is a three of the first quotes that pulled up:

"I sand boxed my CD drive and ran them to see why all the amazon reviewers complained about the software, and scanned the drives both CDs had an instance of a PUP.Trojan and Win32.Cryptor essentially designed to steal data and slowdown your computer."

"The one I got with my ELM327 was filled with Malware, viruses, & trojans."

"the software is counterfeit and has Trojan viruses
    there is no way to update it or register it, after the install AVG 2015 found 4 Trojan said one could not be removed

if you have this installed you might want to run good virus scan or remove it..
    Ill assume the ebay one is counterfeit as well"

I could keep going but I won't. I personally own ALL of the cars in my sig and I'll post about what ever I want, related to them. I don't show up to your posts where you are neglegently instructing people to floor their Prius in reverse to tell you how "you should be mindful of future litigation for personal injury and property damage, because of your HV battery testing protocol" do I? Though I know that bad advise; (even when free), from a perceived expert, is fertile litigation grounds for loss. Notwithstanding, I am yet to find one person at Toyota that has thought your testing protocol was remotely wise.

Lastly, my opinions on Techstream are definitely not unshared or unfounded by other people (as shown above). You don't like my opinion, too bad, I don't like yours, so I guess well agree to disagree. When I post up here about a problem and a collective conclusion is found, it may benefit a hundred people with the same Prius issue, later. So Im gonna keep finding solutions to problems with these cars and recording them here.

#12 Cory151, Apr 14, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  13. Cory151

Cory151 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cool, Ive got the AutoEnginuity Enhanced.

14. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    I bought a MiniVCI. The only indication of a "virus" was because there was a "crack" in the software. The vast majority of virus programs will identify a crack as a virus. That doesn't mean it will do harm or spread. I have used that same laptop.

No, it speaks to my 32 years of experience with computers of all varieties in multiple roles.

I'll give you that one. I focused way too much on my positive experience and the multiple instances of others experiencing the same success. There are likely instances that are true. However, one of the quotes you linked is irrelevant as Techstream does not work with ELM327 readers. Unfortunately, many users don't know how to interpret virus alerts.

Furthermore, there are downloadable versions posted by users that are known to be virus free.

You should work on your reading comprehension. At no point do I instruct flooring in reverse in my testing protocol linked in my signature.

Most Toyota reps will dismiss anything that is not officially endorsed by Toyota.

15. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I didn't mean to get you upset by suggesting the Techstream. I was only trying to be helpful. I hope you get your car working.