1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Triangle of Death, NO battery code.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike-ro-pannus, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Mike-ro-pannus

Mike-ro-pannus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello all,

I scooped up my 08 prius a few months ago with over 220k miles on it and have been driving with no issues until recently.

The red triangle of death appeared but here is the weird part. It is throwing codes for cylinder misfire and 02 sensor failure (picture of OBD report attached) From what I understand the CEL is supposed to come on for these codes but it hasn't, just the triangle. The car still runs fine and definitely doesn't feel like it is misfiring and the HV battery appears to be charging/discharging like normal.

Any input here? I plan to just do both 02 sensors and the ignition coils just to be thorough but I wanted to check of anyone had anything similar happen to them.

Attached Files:

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Those codes are "pending". You should see the check engine lights once it becomes a current problem.

Maybe your code reader is not picking up all the codes?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's certainly not picking up whatever codes are responsible for the triangle. Try Techstream?

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Are you sure your oil level is OK?

5. Glen2007

Glen2007 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    clear the codes then swap the coils from the ones with codes to the ones without. that would be my step 1.

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So.....do your symptoms and your codes make sense?

If not, and you start playing swap master, I suspect you're going to be wasting a lot of time and effort.
    First thing you need to do is make sure the codes you "have" are the real codes being generated. The codes you list are not RTOD generating codes, under any condition. So that should answer the above question. This is rodeo # 7,462?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, the listed codes, if bad enough, could give rise to a P3190 or P3191 in the hybrid ECU, which would light the triangle. In that case, you would see the hybrid code and realize it was telling you to get the engine sorted.

I would be really interested in knowing what codes are logged in the hybrid ECU and causing the triangle to light.

8. Mike-ro-pannus

Mike-ro-pannus New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So quick update, after some back and forth with my mechanic we both feel comfortable with replacing the 02 sensors and ignition coils just as a starting point as the mileage is where they would need replacement anyway.

Then we will go from there.