1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trick for removing rubber hood rest screws?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jds580s, Oct 29, 2015.

1. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am trying to replace the headlight assembly on my 2007 Prius and one of the steps is to free the front bumper enough to access the screws holding the headlight on.

The front lip of the hood rests on two rubber encased screws that also hold the top of the bumper on. Is there any trick to getting those out? Mine are so tight I stripped the Phillips head on the first, and the second one sheered the tip right off of my screwdriver. Neither of them budged. I can drill them out and use a screw extractor, but I don't want to do that until I know I can source replacement parts somewhere.

I can't seem to find them. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

2. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just use pliers to spin the rubber part. Once the rubber part spins you can pull it off the bolt. Then you can use pliers to open the bolt. I think the pliers I used are caller water pump pliers. When you assembly it put the rubber part on the bolt first.

3. jds580s

jds580s Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Thank you! I really gummed up one of those screws, but it did come off with pliers.

Much appreciated!

4. kinglew

kinglew Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Dont need to remove to change headlights