1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tricking HCAC codes into going away?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by aiden, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Larry Grant

Larry Grant New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks Soren, I'll try the actuator - relatively minor cost to solve what is, otherwise, a permanent CEL.
    Larry

Green Ste likes this.
  2. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm just now discovering this thread from another and am in the same sad situation as many others. CAT was stolen last year, replaced with third party CAT and content with driving with CEL and periodically checking codes to make sure I don't have any other actual problems. I'm excited to try this hack and gonna purchase one of the Goldwing actuators. If it works then Soren Lorensen is a god and mad genius. Threads like these are what makes this community so awesome! Will report back in a couple weeks.

Green Ste likes this.
  3. Stock808

Stock808 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Finally got around to removing that stupid check engine light.

thanks to Soren L.

here’s how I have it in my engine bay, I also hacked off the bit that sticks out from the part and it still works fine.

Far look, looks OEM lol.
    FB120376-1C43-478C-92D7-31973B685ECC.jpeg It’s mounted on one of the two bolts that hold the airbox.
    71DB6DA2-E3B9-4FF5-9DB2-6C6E355C655D.jpeg 4CA03A09-42A9-40CD-AC46-ECCF944479C4.jpeg
    Here’s the piece, was hard to hack off but eventually got it.

only downside is now I have to remove the actuator every time I change the oil, small price to pay I guess?

Green Ste likes this.
  4. Augustine

Augustine New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It is working great so far. I cut out the hose (as shown on the image above, VAC_Hose | PriusChat) and connecting it to the GL1500 actuator and that is it.

Attached Files:

Green Ste and Timg1 like this.
  5. sandy11246

sandy11246 Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Great post Soren. Installed Goldwing cruise control diaphragm 4 days ago. Cleared CEL and code. Works great. I removed the braided hose from diaphragm, install a hose to fit both the diaphragm and sensor connection and hooked it directly to sensor. Used zip ties to secure Goldwing assembly in place. Think I will order another assembly to hang on wall in case of failure. Cost $7.25 with free shipping. Am using single after market converter as thieves took original dual cat and valve assembly. Better solution than Toyota $1800 fix. Thanks for your help.

Green Ste likes this.
  6. ArimosTX

ArimosTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I said I would report back in a couple weeks but that turned into a couple months due to my car being stolen and subsequent repairs. I finally got around to trying this and it works! After clearing the code it would normally come back after about 15 miles of driving but after 40 miles it hasn't come back yet. CEL free feels great, thanks for this.

7. dkfuel

dkfuel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread is incredible. For those of us who don't have 2K plus lying around - a lifesaver.

I have the part from eBay and I was ready to cut off the part on the one end and then realized that I simply don't understand. The picture showing the cut piece only gets blurry when I zoom in on it. I have a good idea where to "hack it off," but I don't understand what is supposed to be left behind. Won't there still be metal left over going inside? Does the hose fit over the metal piece? I'm so close yet so far from installing because I really don't understand how it works, therefore I'm afraid to cut anything. Clarification would be immensely appreciated!!!

8. pmc

pmc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay! Thanks Soren and nimblemotors for solving a ~20yrs old puzzle!
    I appreciate this because my cat just ran away and the state wants my car smog tested before renewing reg by the end of the year. And apparently I bought something close to the last existing parts when I replaced the exhaust to pass emissions a couple of years ago. :-/

9. pmc

pmc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although still << new exhau$t, gl1500 cc actuators on ebay aren't $8 anymore. I imagine some people wondering why the market for those multiplied in the last year :)

Can anyone provide approximate dimensions or volume for one of those? That might help for selecting other viable parts.

(but really this is to get my post count up so I can link to this thread in a new thread for the question)

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There were only something like 52,000 Gen 1 Prii ever made (or maybe that was just NA market, I forget). How many Gold Wings are there? I wonder how much of a market blip Prius HCAC retrofits could be.

11. pmc

pmc New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots, I'm sure. But any GL1500s are over 20 to 35 years old so fewer owners buying parts now. Just an off-topic curiosity.

12. SGprius

SGprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Did the same thing here, worked flawlessly, Thanks Soren!

Green Ste likes this.
  13. Green Ste

Green Ste Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    As a converter theft victim myself, I will try your solution to fix the P1436 and P1437 codes from my HCAC-less aftermarket new catalytic converter replacement. Any tip on what to do with that other side of the Goldwing actuator, that hose that holds the metal pull cable? Can it just be cut off, or should the cable be in some certain position and held there? Sorry for the newb question.

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  14. Green Ste

Green Ste Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Oops, I just saw @Stock808 did clip that cable off and it worked :). Will report back if my attempt succeeded.

Bruce Berquist likes this.
  15. Bruce Berquist

Bruce Berquist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did the Honda Goldwing vacuum pot under the hood installation and it has been a totally successful fix for the HCAC-less cat system on my Gen1 for a good 3 years now, problem free.

In extreme cold start-ups (below 10f) I advise that you take the extra time let the catalyst warm up to good operating temperature before driving your car, or you might get the catalyst temp out of spec or the B1S2 O2 sensor out of temp spec trouble-codes.
    With out the HCAC unit the cat temp does not heat up to spec as quickly and conveniently as it did with the HCAC in place.

In New Hampshire winter cold snaps I just plan my start-ups ahead of time, and plan my trip schedules accordingly.

Green Ste likes this.
  16. Green Ste

Green Ste Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Success! Thanks a bunch to all the good souls on here who researched, tinkered, and reported back, making this workaround possible! Kudos to @Soren Lorensen @ZTE @Bruce Berquist @nimblemotors @sandy11246 and others.
    You saved me a $2000-$2800 repair or having to sell/junk my car due to failed emissions testing.

Attaching two pics that show how I installed the Goldwing actuator. I didn't want to block any lids or access points. Zip ties, eh, functional and layperson approach :). I am somewhat tickled that the actuator looks as corroded as the rest of the parts under the hood, lol, good camouflage. I cleared the CEL and P1437 trouble codes, and after two driving cycles including a few minutes of highway, the smog circuits were all ready for emissions testing. I did pass the emissions test ...with a bit of luck, since the station attendant did not press me on my repair report that I technically still owed, after getting an economic hardship extension for the suggested expensive repair in August 2022. So as a tip, definitely try to use this workaround before going to emissions testing, to avoid retesting with additional documentation about the repair job.

I saw several Honda Goldwing GL1500 Cruise Control Valve Actuator Modules on Ebay for around $25-$35 shipped; August 2023.

Now as for the legality of this fix, hmm. I suppose it might count as tampering, but on the other hand it is not intended to cheat on bad emissions. My aftermarket standard cat converter works well, no issues there. I would argue that this workaround is in the spirit of the Clean Air Act. A green car is kept on the road. I wonder, has anybody ran into challenges by repair folks or inspectors when they noticed the actuator?

Honey Gold Pot 1.jpeg Honey Gold Pot 2.jpeg

17. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I duck-ducked "Honda Goldwing GL1500 Cruise Control Valve Actuator Module" and what came up did not look anything like the device in those two photos. What am I missing? (NB: I'm asking for possible future reference; I don't presently have a problem, since I was able to get an OEM replacement exhau$t $y$tem a couple of years ago when they were still available.)

18. Green Ste

Green Ste Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I am no expert but I believe only certain older Goldwings qualify for the fitting part, like 1988 to 1995 or so. If you search, maybe leave out "cruise control" as a term because some people sell the electronics for that or the whole control assembly with three parts. Ebay really is your friend here.

Look for part 36520-MT2-000
    Saw some on a website called goldwingpartsking

#38 Green Ste, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
  19. Trombone

Trombone Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the specific info! I'm filing it in case of future need.

Green Ste likes this.
  20. Bamt

Bamt New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So not sure if anyone has experienced this but ive bought two gold wing actuators,hooked them up to the correct hose but the CEL still comes on for it. I bought a cat for it but they didnt include the actuators so im back at square one. Is it possible i received 2 bad gold wing parts? I want to return the exhaust and try again but im just not sure now Im lost and confused right now lol. Im in ny where emissions is required. Any input would be appreciated.