1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trickle Charger for 12V

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Mar 24, 2020.

1. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I'll follow a similar regimen as it looks like I'll be mostly at home for the next month or two. I'm already looking for extra stuff to do, so I'll consider this monitoring a benefit.

davecook89t likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yup, dog with a bone.

davecook89t likes this.
  3. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yet another oddity....I just checked a minute ago and the multimeter now reads 12.6 V! I haven't taken the car out since the last reading.

Could the activation of the thermal coolant cannister pump be responsible for a temporary drop in voltage? It seems that this pump is activated when I enter the car. I definitely remember hearing the whirring sound when I opened the hood earlier and took that 12.6V reading. I then left the hood open and didn't enter the car prior to the subsequent reading... so the pump did not activate when I took the 12.6 V reading. Could this possibly explain the difference in readings? I had tested my multimeter before and it seems to be working fine.

Mendel, I am 99% sure a battery test will tell me the battery needs replacing so I don't intend to get it tested. I'm just going to monitor the voltage and charge weekly until at least my next oil change at which time I may end up buying a new battery.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Right, the recommended way to measure the voltage of your battery is to let it sit overnight with the hood unlatched. Then approach the car without the Smart Key in your possession to make sure it doesn't go through its start-up routine before you take the reading. There are several systems on the car that come to life when you open the door or even just approach the car with the Smart Key. To get a true reading, you don't want any of those systems running when you measure the voltage.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    60 messages into the thread, I forgot the exact conditions under which you were taking measurements......or you didn't say.
    It is important to track the voltage under known conditions, with no load or only a tiny one.
    That means NOT opening the doors or using the remote; best to leave the hood ajar and not touch anything else.
    IF it holds 12.6 for several days, your battery may very well be healthier than you think.

davecook89t likes this.
  6. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wasn't aware of the recommendation to keep the hood unlatched and avoid bringing the smartkey into close proximity. I'll keep this in mind and see if the battery holds 12.6 V.

bisco and davecook89t like this.
  7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The real issue is to avoid opening the driver door and thus triggering the power brake accumulator pump, which sucks down a lot of electrical juice for a short time. Compared to that, the simple smartkey proximity detection is tiny.

Robert Holt and davecook89t like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found even opening the passenger door dropped voltage by 0.1 volt. @bisco had mentioned the popped hatch trick so I tried that, got 12.9 volt. Opened/closed passenger door: it was down to 12.8.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In any case, these measurements are insignificant compared to the 10.5 V or less criterium that is quite often used in the repair manual.

In my book, while that battery is not in prime condition, it is more than good enough for the time being. People need to drop this fixation with the 12 V battery. It is not really rocket science.

Now that the OP has a battery charger and is going to use it on a regular basis, it is time to move on. For that matter, in these times, if you plan on not using your car for 2 or more days, just put it on charge. With these automatic multi-stage chargers, when the charge is complete it will continue with a trickle charge to keep the battery at full charge until required for use.

davecook89t likes this.
  10. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It has been proven by the experience of MANY owners, reported here, that problems start appearing WELL before the battery gets anywhere near 10.5 volts. I just looked at my "battery charge" chart and it shows 0% SOC at 11.8 with no load.

In MY opinion, his battery likely is marginal, not "more than good enough" and will just continue to get worse.......tender or not.

A tender will not necessarily "keep the battery at full charge" because one common characteristic of a worn out batter is that it won't TAKE a real full charge no matter what you do.

All the evidence says that it is YOU who should "drop" giving out bad advice.
    It is pretty obvious that you don't have any real training in this field.

Good basic electronic troubleshooting says to always check the power supply FIRST.
    And then if other discovered symptoms don't add up.......go back and check it AGAIN.

11. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    This might be snake oil but I've been doing it for years and my batteries always seem to last well past their lifespans.

I read somewhere long ago that when a battery dies it's because the sulfates (if that's right) flake off the plates, pile up on the bottom of the case, and once they build up high enough to touch the plates the battery shorts out. So what I do is tap the battery firmly with a rubber mallet and then charge it back up. The idea is that you're knocking down this piling up of flaky material. Like I said, maybe snake oil but hell what's there to lose except maybe some self respect if you do it in front of someone who actually knows what's going on LOL.

I mainly have the problem with my Suburban which almost never gets driven. The stereo unit in it kills the battery as it sits all the time and if I don't routinely start it up I have to deal with the dead battery. I used to have to buy a new battery every 2-3 years because it wouldn't hold a charge any longer. I've had the current battery for about 7 years now. I give it a good rap at least once a year.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sounds plausible, and it can't hurt, a little tap.

13. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    AGM batteries do NOT suffer from sulfation to the degree that conventional wet cell ones do.

Your "method" might help.
    It would help MUCH more if you used a good tender type charger to keep the battery fully charged all the time.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sorry, but it's not my copyright. :p

CTEK 4.3 hooked up for the last six days. (y)

15. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of you may have noticed the other thread I just posted... I had attempted to start the car this morning and it wouldn't start. I had been monitoring the voltage and had noticed that it would drop by increasing amounts after sitting for 12+hrs. When I last checked yesterday morning it had dropped down to 10.6V - I was still able to start the car and take it for a short drive.

Later that day I attached the trickle charger which after an hour of charging returned a bad battery signal - no bars were visible when it was attempting to charge and the reading was in the 8 - 9 Volt range. I had not used the trickle charge since the initial charge on the 26th of March. After jump starting the car today and taking it for a 40 minute drive, I immediately attached the trickle charger when I returned home. This time I'm able to see some bars while it's charging. I'll check after an hour to see if I still get the bad battery signal. I also found a reference to this specific charger saying it will only charge if the initial charge is over a certain level. So it looks like the longer drive charged the battery up sufficiently for the trickle charger to continue the charging process.

My original plan was to change the new battery at my next oil change. however, since it is clearly failing faster than I had hoped, I'll be buying a Toyota battery tomorrow.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  16. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Given what you said about how your charger works............
    It very likely is NOT a dumb "trickle charger" and there is a significant and important difference.
    Calling it a trickle charger tends to confuse people.
    Smart charger or battery tender are much better terms.

Note: Until you do get it replaced, you should leave your charger connected to it all the time that it is not in use, if possible. Certainly overnight. A couple of hours won't be enough.

davecook89t likes this.
  17. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to cap off this thread. Had a new battery installed today. My intention was to pick it up and install it myself. I had called Cobb County Toyota and they quoted $227 for the oem battery. I then asked how much to install it and was quoted an additional $140!! When I questioned the quote, the rep was pretty rude and said it was standard hourly rate. This is exactly why some dealerships get bad reputations. I understand the Prius battery requires a bit more work to replace, but its still a 10 minute job at most.

Anyway, I then called the Roswell Toyota dealership and was quoted $210 for the battery. In addition, they allowed me to use a $30 off coupon. When I arrived I asked how much to install and was told its more expensive than regular battery replacement so it would be $25! So I let them install, mainly to save me the hassle of returning the core. Amazing how two local dealerships can be so different.

One last note..... as I had hoped, I noticed a 3 mpg improvement in my fuel economy on the way home.

Mendel Leisk and davecook89t like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Wow, really pays to comparison shop. Maybe post on yelp?

19. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Ignorant Prius new guy here. Is there something special about the Prius 12V battery or can I just go get one at Walmart like I always do?

20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You can NOT put any stock in the difference reported by the onboard system over a short number of miles like that.
    Maybe it is mostly downhill from that dealer to home.

srellim234 likes this.