1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trickle Chargers and "Battery Mainainers" not the same thing

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ES44AC, May 11, 2012.

1. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    If that is the one with TWO plastic boxes attached to the cords, then yes maybe.

I have heard a lot of car and motorcycle owners claim that they work just fine for long term use but I remain somewhat skeptical.
    For one thing, they contain no "diagnostic" lights to tell you what is going on.
    I prefer to throw another $15 in and get one with lights and a known brand name.

I would be interested to hear what the "float" voltage is after the HF one has been connected for a few days.

2. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fixed It For You.

I call "Harbor Freight" catalogs "HAZARD FRAUGHT" catalogs.

It's all cheap garbage...mostly from China. Good for the once-in-a-blue-moon need, but not something you want to rely on regularly.

UNLESS it is made by a major name manufacturer and HF just happened to get some in stock, I'd not trust it with anything important.

Heck, I bought a catalytic heater at Wal-Mart from Coleman for camping. It went wonky on a trip, and I had to replace it with an identical unit from a outdoorsman store. Same thing, but made much better. Because Wal-Mart demands low-ball prices, many big name providers make a cheaper version of their products for Wal-Mart compared to what goes to other retailers.

3. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Also, while there is a difference between a "trickle charger" and a "battery maintainer," most any QUALITY unit does "speed charge," "trickle charge" and "maintain". You may need to set a switch for "speed" vs. "trickle" charging, but once a full charge is registered, the unit goes into "maintenance" without further prompting.

It's well worth-it to buy a quality unit that does it all.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Your opinion.

I think if you keep in mind that the quality might not be the best, you can get some really good deals.

I have a free flashlight or two and a free multi-meter that work just fine; well worth what I paid. :)

I also have an infared temperature gun that works good too; for about $25.

DoubleDAZ likes this.
  5. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fair enough. I'd not trust tools you can't afford to have break in the middle of a job or jack stands not made by a reputable maker, though.