1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tried 2 separate bulbs and ballast replacement and headlight still flickers out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by purgatorrie, Feb 6, 2019.

1. purgatorrie

purgatorrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    God help me friends, for I drive rideshare. Last weekend, I noticed my headlight was out on the driver’s side. Ordered a new bulb (I was stupid and didn’t get Phillips brand) and replace it myself but I can’t figure out how to get the lens cover back on without breaking my wrist so I took it to my trusted mechanic and they determine that it seems like there’s a larger problem as it’s not lighting. Ended up replacing the ballast on the driver’s side and putting in the new light. On my drive home I notice the driver side headlight is already out. I turn the lights off and on and it comes back and the process repeats ad naseum. I chalk it up to being my fault for cheaping out on the bulbs and order another set — Phillips brand — and took the car and bulbs back to my mechanic for the install today. Pretty immediately once it gets dark I notice the exact same thing is happening once again, ballast and OEM brand be damned.

What happens every time is exactly the same—turn the headlights on, they stay on for EXACTLY one minute (I’ve timed it several times), then the one on the driver’s side goes off, flashes back on twice and then goes out for good (until I turn them off and back on for another round). I know this is what HIDs are programmed to do when they reach the end of their useable life, but obviously that is not the case here and the ballast is brand new as well.

Does anyone have a guess at what the actual source of the problem could be? I’m at the end of my rope here