1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tried Programming New Smart Key.....

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Jimmyg41, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Jimmyg41

Jimmyg41 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My old smart key stopped working in regards to unlocking and locking the doors with the buttons on the fob. If the car was locked you could still open the door by touching the handle when the key was on you. Took it to the local Toyota dealership after trying a few things (changing battery in FOB and checking that the "key" button under the steering wheel was in the right position) and they said I need a new FOB. I chose to try to program it myself which got me to the point where I programmed it and it starts the car but only in when inserted in the key fob slot. I then attempted to program the smart key functions and I guess you need to have a fully functioning key since one of the last steps is to press the "lock/unlock" button on the old key then the new key. Well, somewhere in this process I knew the new FOB wasn't going to work but now the old key lost the smart key functions :-( Any ideas what I did and if it's at all possible to fix it? All else fails, I'll go back to Toyota, just thought I'd reach out for suggestions.