1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tried to jump my 2008 and the problem got worse

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by twrestler94, Dec 11, 2017.

1. twrestler94

twrestler94 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I tried to start my prius this morning I got most of the dash lights but the ready light would not come on. I tried a few times and the lights seem to get a little weaker. I got a jump and I tried to roll the window down and did not have enough power to do that normally. I got it down 80% or so. then tried to adjust the jumper cables and they sparked and got worse. Then I only had the green park light, the check engine light and the passenger airbag lights on and nothing else. I then tried jumping the car from the back and nothing changed. The 12 volt seemed weak before today and I was thinking about replacing it in the next week or 2. I'm wondering if when it sparked did something else break, or is it just the battery is totally gone?

Thank you

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    could be a fuse.

3. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If the jumper cables are connected correctly and providing power the dash lights should light up normally when you press the power button. If they are dim then the jumper cables aren't connecting, maybe a fuse as Bisco suggested. Also are you using actual jumper cables connected to another car or one of those portable battery jump starts? The battery jump starts work okay sometimes but if the battery is heavily drained you need an actual jump start from another car.

Edit - I just noticed that the question was asked Monday so hopefully he got it started.

4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you try unsuccessfully to start too many times, you can discharge the HV battery to where it needs to be recharged, IIRC.

If the jumper cables were connected incorrectly, it could have blown the HV fuse and/or the inverter that charges the 12V battery

5. tutti57

tutti57 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If there was a shower of sparks, it's likely that the cables we're crossed. Sparking is very minimal when done properly.

Moto G Play ?

Prodigyplace likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd check the connection in the back between the ground cable and the body of the car. If that's good, look for other loose or corroded connections on or near the 12V battery. If you come back here and read these.

Prodigyplace and JC91006 like this.