1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trip button and A and B Trip

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bobusa, Sep 13, 2016.

1. bobusa

bobusa Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the Trip button on steering and what does Trip A and Trip B means? I've 4 days old Prius 4 with AT AND CONVENIENCE package

iPhone ?

2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can do with them what you want.

Me - I zero TRIP A when I refuel.

TRIP B is still what it was on when I bought the car - but if I were touring, I would use it for journey segments or the entire journey.

RCO and Sooner Al like this.
  3. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They are 2 different counters for tracking miles and fuel consumption separately. Did you not have something similar on other cars?
    I use the A for the tank (I reset it after fueling and noting the consumption Of the tank) and B for my commute trip to see how that goes each day or for any othe trip not linked to tracking the full tank.
    Btw: by pressing trip you can also track the fuel consumption (as well as other parameters like average speed and percentage of time the car was on EV mode (combustion engine off while driving) and time of travel) for the odometer and since last turning on the car.

RCO likes this.
  4. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    same way here

5. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use the A trip counter for each tank - reset at each fill. I use the B trip counter for "Lifetime" statistics. Has never been reset and I am fast approaching 14,000 miles. Great to have an overview.

RCO and Blizzard_Persona like this.
  6. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I also use Trip A for current tank stats. In past cars I attempted to keep "lifetime" on Trip B but the trip counters roll over at 10k IIRC.

Unlike past generations, this car has built in lifetime MPG on the ODO display. That has freed Trip B for actual trip use for me.

nednvermont, Tande, RCO and 1 other person like this.
  7. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The trip odometer does roll over at 10,000 miles, but it doesn't reset any statistics. My "B" trip odometer does only show 4,000 miles, but the MPG, average speed, percentage of ECO driving are all lifetime stats.
    The car DOES NOT have lifetime statistics on the ODO display unless you never "Update" the lower MFD screen.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  8. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    did the odometer 14K mpg re set at 10 k?
    I see you said it rolled over at 10k, meaning it started over?

9. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The trip odometer "rolled over" at 10,000 miles - but did not lose any of the accumulated data. Still has lifetime MPGs, average speeds, ECO use and all other data. Just need to add the 10,000 miles (and eventually 20,000 and so on) to the trip odometer reading...

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE

Miles restart at zero but MPG keeps going at the avg as long as trip meter B Is never reset. This is what I've done on my wife's Prius V three. It rolled over a few k ago...and currently what I'm doing with my Gen 4!

*And again, lifetime ODO mpg is very easily resetable, all you have to do is hit the UPDATE or CLEAR button on the big screen..FYI. A common misconception is that it's not resetable...

Some folks like me and others reset the ODO mpg each fill up by way of the UPDATE button. One day I might clear it all out say possibly at my first oil change and never reset it from there on out and see what transpires for mpg's after my first oil change....

11. GaryD1

GaryD1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well good, I had been there but never cleared anything

12. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I know the ODO lifetime can be reset, but then so can Trip B. In fact since I don't use the eco screen on the touch screen, resetting Trip B by accident seems more likely with how I use the vehicle.

As for rolling over, it doesn't reset the MPG but I also don't know that it's not a rolling average. There could be a point at which the oldest samples drop off, but that might not be noticed from observing the displayed value. Does it matter much, probably not, but without the software code it's hard to make definitive statements about what the number really is or isn't. Clearly they did not make trip counters capable of representing lifetime distance; who's to say they did for fuel economy?

13. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is a difference between "clear" and "update". If you update the MFD screen, it will start measuring again from that point - I have never used "clear" - sound ominous to me...

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  14. krmcg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My collective data supports that the "lifetime" numbers are real and live.

15. Sooner Al

Sooner Al Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Same with my usage...

krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  16. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    "Clear" simply deletes ALL the previous info on the big screen and resets the ODO mpg anew. This is what I did the day I picked up my new car along with zeroing out trip A and B. "Update" allows you to start a new trip or tank or whatever you need it for and this will also restart your ODO mpg anew, plus your "best" mpg trip will display up top from all the past updates..

Like I said I kinda wish I never hit the update button, but since I did I've been "updating" after each tank fill up.... Granted I have never updated trip B so that should be a running lifetime for me, am doing the same with my wife's 2014 v three.

In essence you can hit clear at anytime and start anew or just hit update and have the other past updates on there but be aware once you hit the update that mpg is only calculated from that point on...

I might hit clear at my 10k mile oil change and start anew and never reset it at that point just for fun.

Then again either way I keep all gas receipts and hand calculate everything so that's more accurate anyways.

#16 Blizzard_Persona, Sep 14, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
    GaryD1 likes this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah get a spreadsheet going, lol.

What happens if and when the 12 volt battery is disconnected, does everything but odometer evaporate?

alanclarkeau likes this.
  18. Blizzard_Persona

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Good question? Is there a memory feature or is all lost? I don't know.

That's why it's good to track not only mpg but miles driven from tank to tank and hand calculate mpg and the variation of the displayed and calculated for reference. I normally just write all that stuff and any notes onto the receipt at fill up time.....which is not that often with the Gen 4...a good thing ;)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. stanigu

stanigu Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I use A for the tank like everyone else. I use B to keep track of oil change intervals on all my cars (since I don't necessarily remember to do it at certain mileage).

krmcg likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Keep in mid the service interval is distance OR time. The maintenance reminder on US Prius does not consider this, a shortcoming. If your miles accumulate fast enough it's moot,