1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trip info when Power is switched OFF..

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mnsweeps, Mar 15, 2013.

1. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I see my trip info between Power ON to Power OFF when I turn off the engine. But then during my next trip it recycles all the reading..I want the Prius to remember my past trip so that way over a total 300 or 400 miles I can see the average MPG I got..How can I set that?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you using TripA and/or TripB? Both continue for multiple trips, until you reset them.

3. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the OP is referring to the trip report that is displayed briefly when you power down that reports the number of miles travelled, total time from on to off, and fuel efficiency for that single trip.

I haven't reset trip A or trip B for ten months since I got the car 8,500 miles ago, but the display for the trip statistics resets every time I turn on the vehicle.

The trip statistics and the trip A/B odo readings are most likely totally separate systems, as the system clock and the "dumb" clock in the time display are.

4. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes I am referring to the trip report I briefly see when I power down after a ride. Also how do I see the trip A /B report after a reset to clear them off?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I realize that OP is using the brief stats display at power off. This feature is new with model year 2012, and is the only feature that displays trip time and trip cost.

But OP seems to be asking only for average MPG over 300 to 400 miles. That is included in the TripA/B displays, along with distance and average speed. Is this what is desired, or is there some reason that TripA/B doesn't provide the desired information?

mnsweeps likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    TripA and TripB continue until each is individually reset. Unlike the brief power-off dispaly, they do not clear automatically.

To see either, press 'Trip' on the steering wheel repeatedly to cycle through the various items, including total Odometer and DTE (Distance to Empty). The reset either, bring it up on the display, then press-and-holt 'Trip' until it clears.

Most of us reset one of these every time we refuel, and use the other for something else. I reset it every day for quick MPG feedback, some use it for lifetime MPG, others for other trips of interest.

mnsweeps likes this.
  7. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't believe there is any way to get the data that you seek other than manually tracking it.

Trip A and trip B are just dumb odometer trackers. Digital yes, but they don't save all the data that you are looking for.

Have you gotten acquainted with fuelly yet? That would be the best way to track your mileage--and it provides a wealth of tracking options and charts.

8. sardog

sardog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, this is a new feature since '12? I'm glad I waited... Love it! image.jpg

ralleia likes this.
  9. mnsweeps

mnsweeps Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes sardog that the end of trip display and I love it so much :) I will use the Trip A and Trip B for long term mileage checks.

10. ralleia

ralleia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well I'll be horn-swoggled.

After reading the post saying that the trip information also stores other data, I wanted to try it out. I was waiting in the line of cars to pick up the urchin from school today and started toying with the Trip A/B and display settings.

Bringing up Trip A or Trip B and then hitting the 'DISPlay" button toggles through a number of displays, among them one that shows the trip odometer, calculated mpg, and average speed.

Didn't know that it had that. What fun!

sardog, mnsweeps and fuzzy1 like this.