1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TripleTred vs ComforTred vs HydroEdge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by acousticbiker, Dec 30, 2005.

1. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Discount Tires gave me ~$25-40 for each OEM tire (can't remember the exact amount). Well, except for the one with the nail in it. :)

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I also got something for my one-year-old but lightly worn OEM tires. Not much, but the main thing was knowing they'd be sold and used on a car, not thrown in the landfill.

3. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

I took my Prius out with the new Comfortred Assurance tires in our N. California storms today and they were great! I felt confident and relaxed driving with these tires. No slipping or sliding - and the wind didn't bother it. I'm so glad I bought these tires.

I didn't feel I needed the HydroEdge as I understood that they were for more extreme weather than we get here. I worried that I had not made the right decision but today's trip did away with any fears I had.

4. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    kkister1492:

Good to hear your comments. I too put the comfortreds on my Prius which I just got today. I think they are wonderful tires. Good to hear they are working as you had hoped they would.

5. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Thanks, everyone, for your feedback! I'm still undecided between the TripleTreds and ComforTreds. My 3 main variables are:

1. Noise level: I was reading through reviews at tirerack and one user mentioned that they were louder than Integritys. Noise reviews seemed to vary based on vehicle also (no Prius reviews there). Can anyone comment on noise levels for the TT, particularly in comparison with Integrity (OEM) and ComforTred?

2. Mileage effects: This also seems difficult due to the many variables that affect mileage. However, it would helpful to get some hard numbers from users to see what effect, if any, has been noticed. Again, it would be nice to hear from someone who can compare Integrity vs. ComforTred vs TripleTred.

3. Snow performance: Most seem to report that the TripleTreds do well and that the ComfortTreds also do well (but maybe not as strong a performer in this area). Has anyone used both to be able to tell whether performance is significantly different?

Thanks, again!

6. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

The ComforTreds do seem to be quieter than the OEM tires. As for gas mileage - I do not know. I got the recall done on the 19th and the new tires on the 20th. I don't notice a huge difference as yet just a few inconsistencies with the fuel gauge. However, my 19-year-old son has driven my car a couple of times during that first tank full so I don't know what to believe. I'll keep an eye on things this tank and see if there is anything to report.

7. jsorger

jsorger New Member

I'll second the positive report. Integritys just wore out at 50k. Rotated every 10k. Fine for the "harsh" N. CA weather.

8. canon

canon New Member

I am a tire fanatic and suspected I would immediately switch the OEM tires on my '05. They aren't as bad as I thought they would be. Certain surfaces create an unpleasant "whirr" sound but other than that they aren't bad. I will certainly upgrade when/if they become unbearable.

9. acousticbiker

acousticbiker New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Where are you located?

10. rwindsor

rwindsor New Member

Took delivery Monday on '06 level 4. We live in Michigan and need good winter traction. Went directly to Discount Tire for pre-ordered Hydroedges. ($120 trade-in) Had Tripletreads on a van until a couple months ago. Bad manufacturing, uneven noise right from the git-go. Traded for Michelins and am happy.