1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troll Alert

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Godiva, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FastAndTheThrifty @ Dec 29 2006, 03:41 AM) [snapback]368106[/snapback]</div>
    I apologize for misunderstanding your post.

Late at night during the troll attack, I did a view all new posts and then read the entries. Your name appeared once with the rest of the troll group, who seemed to be working as a team. The one post I read made it appear that you were part of the group. I didn't read your other posts or know anything about your history.

I was just trying to make it a little easier for when a moderator finally appeared on the scene. It's up to the mods to call the shots.

I'm sorry if you were offended.

Note to Danny and mods.

Bill Merchant tried to e-mail a few of the moderators but he could only send e-mail once every 15 minutes. This seems a little extreme. I looked at the bottom of the Priuschat forum for those who were 'on' and the moderators are mixed in with everyone else. Or are they? Is there a "moderators who are online" list and it was just not there because there were no moderators on? Or is there no list. Could there be a list? It would make it faster to contact someone.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Dec 29 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]368275[/snapback]</div>
    Wow. Think they can do the same for spammers?

2. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Dec 29 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]368265[/snapback]</div>
    Sort of like listening to Vogon poetry?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sweet.

Yeah, you guys didn't miss much... just a lotta cat pictures with stupid captions. One of them even started singing and posting entire song lyrics.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think the email limitation is to keep people from sending out spam by using our member-list as their launch vehicle. Perhaps you're right, 15 minutes is a while.

I just looked at the "My Assistant - Moderating Team" list and it doesn't specify who's online. On the bottom of the "Forums" page, I can see my name in green. I do not know much about making a board like this run (though I do like to peek around behind the scenes) but if there's a way to make the "Moderating Team" list display an on/off status icon that would be nice. Right now I can look at each person's post - in the bottom-left corner - and see either [​IMG] or [​IMG].

5. TheProgrammerGuy

TheProgrammerGuy New Member

What exactly is a 'troll', and why do they bother you? :unsure:

6. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheProgrammerGuy @ Dec 29 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]368306[/snapback]</div>
    Take a look at this thread. As for why they bother us, they're kind of like that group of teenagers in the corner of the movie theater talking loudly during the movie. That's the best analogy I can think of at the moment.

7. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TheProgrammerGuy @ Dec 29 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]368306[/snapback]</div>
    It's from Scandinavian folk lore: a fabulous giant or dwarf who lives in a dark cave.

I expect they get up to even worse mischief in the back of their caves.

The word was adopted by internet users to describe emailers who try to provoke an indignant response. Today's trolls seem to have succeeded in doing this so let's ignore them in future.

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's a computer term. They're bothersome the exact same way someone playing loud obnoxious music on the street corner you're standing on while trying to have a conversation is.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Dec 29 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]368275[/snapback]</div>
    That's a nice idea if it works, but what's to say it won't have vulnerabilities that those bent on mischief (or worse) can exploit? It's not like new (or not-so-new) Microsoft products don't have a tiny flaw or two.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Dec 29 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]368327[/snapback]</div>
    Good analogy. I'll take it a step further: They'are also tossing popcorn and drinks on many others in the audience.

PS to Skwyre7: I see you ordered your ScanGauge. :)

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Dec 29 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]368361[/snapback]</div>
    Apple would make it work.

The only problem will be if three Trolls all decide to get back at someone by reporting them, thus locking up their machine and giving them a $5,000 gift. Four of last night's trolls were working together. Today, Bill Merchant and I could find ourselves buying new computers. (Why pay $5,000 when a new machine is less than $1,000?)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Dec 29 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]368303[/snapback]</div>
    Well, I don't see anyone's name in green right now.

And I don't know who all of the moderators are. I just didn't see your name or Evan's so wasn't sure what to do. Bill has given me some hints. But a list of some kind with what moderator is online would be nice.

11. RonH

RonH Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Oxo @ Dec 29 2006, 03:40 PM) [snapback]368344[/snapback]</div>
    Really? I thought it was derived from trolling - a fishing term. And I remember its usage back in the early days of usenet which incidentally is where spam originated.

12. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Skwyre7 @ Dec 29 2006, 01:19 PM) [snapback]368327[/snapback]</div>
    Skwyre...thank you the thread link. I've been gone for PriusChat for months now due to major renovation at my place of work so I was quite confused by some threads. Thank you again, the link helped clear up the confusion.

13. Prius The First

Prius The First New Member

What exactly is a 'troll'...........

To fish?

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius The First @ Dec 29 2006, 03:26 PM) [snapback]368395[/snapback]</div>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

The trolls last night were worse than most. They were constantly posting garbage last night like "yeah. I test drove a Prius and I never wanted to suck dick as bad afterwards" or in response to someone's question about oil they said "go change your oil every 1000 miles and buy the most expensive oil" followed by a post along the lines of "go dump the waste oil in a river afterwards". :rolleyes:

15. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius The First @ Dec 29 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]368395[/snapback]</div>
    Well, according to the Cherokee who used to inhabit these parts, as legend has it, they believed there were "little people" who lived in the forest. They could talk to the animals. They could guide you if you were lost, protect you if you were in danger, etc. You had only to believe, and be connected to the mother earth, the source of all life.

now days, with the influx of people here, they live mostly underground and in caves and cracks in the rocks. When my dogs begin to bark "at nothing" in the middle of the night, or I hear coyotes howl, it may be because of the little people in the forest.

But, do they have computers, and do they visit PriusChat???? who knows?? most people don't even believe they exist. Heck, apparently we've even got a list of 'em. Who knows? Do you believe? Do I?? Why not?? I've heard more unbelieveable tales....... :eek:

16. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prius The First @ Dec 29 2006, 06:26 PM) [snapback]368395[/snapback]</div>
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_%28angling%29

Basicly, instead of casting and reeling the line in and repeating, you cast out and then let the boat the do the work by cruising around.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
  18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Dec 29 2006, 11:03 AM) [snapback]368285[/snapback]</div>
    The speeches of Enver Hoxha were much worse. And they are real.

Curious that even though everything in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is translated into English for us by the fish in Arthur Dent's ear, the Vogon poetry remains a string of nonsense words.

But Enver Hoxha's speeches were real words, and the translations into English are real English words, and they actually say stuff. But they manage to be terrifyingly boring, as I said, even if you agree with his general political view of the world.

As for the derivation of the word "troll," the fishing analogy sounds more probable to me.

19. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Funny. I always think of the Three Billy Goats Gruff.

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Seems like the damned trolls are back again but w/different handles. :(