1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trophy wife and this late-life crisis car: Detroit Electric

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by bwilson4web, Apr 5, 2013.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    [​IMG]

Detroit has become home to a fourth U.S. automaker, albeit one with modest if promising ambitions to do things quite differently from the familiar Big Three.

Reviving a brand name that last built cars nearly three-quarters of a century ago, a small group of automotive and consumer electronics veterans have resurrected the old Detroit Electric badge and promise to have their first new product, the SP:01 sports car, in production by late this coming summer.

Made of exotic lightweight materials including bonded aluminum and carbon fiber, officials promise the Detroit Electric SP:01 will be the fastest battery-electric vehicle, or BEV, on the market, launching from 0 to 60 in 3.7 seconds and topping out at 155 mph. They also promise a range of up to 180 miles per charge.

Source: Resurrected Detroit Electric Reveals Big Plans for Battery-Car Market | TheDetroitBureau.com

So I'll just have to find a trophy wife, say middle 50s (don't want to 'rob the cradle'), sell the plane, and take 10 days to drive this little puppy home. <grins>

Bob Wilson

2. dipper

dipper Senior Member

another Lotus Elise based car?

3. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    nicer than the Karma....?

4. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  5. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, but this is based on the new elise chasis and is its own targa carbon fiber body. I have no idea why they need 5 speeds on the manual, but the biggest drawback here is price. Then again the much more expensive porsche phev 918 sold out quickly.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don't care for the faux, air inlets and funny shapes in the body. They suggests the 'stylists' are still stuck in the ICE world of radiators and non-regenerative braking.

Drop the bumpers or integrate them into the body via flex covers and this Karman Ghia, is close to my perfect idea:
    [​IMG]
    Inside, a row of review mirrors along the top so there are no external mirrors yet awesome rear and side view with overlapping, non-blocked views 360. The door become flush, 'buttons' that you simply push to unlatch and open. That crease in front of the rear wheels goes away

A performance EV should like an Amish shirt, be plain, with nothing showing any purpose except to get the air from the front to back with a minimum transfer of energy. If air is actually needed inside, I prefer articulating inlets that otherwise, hide, and are flush when not needed.

Bob Wilson

7. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob you need to cool your brake pads when slowing down from 155 mph;) that requires functional airflow.

Tesla does have the flush door handles, that come out when you need them.

I'm not sure what car you are showing, but those bumpers appear to be the ones that complied with the old regulations and aren't legal in the US standards.

I kind of like the look of this new hybrid, they may have been going a little for the same look
    Ferrari unveils V12 hybrid in Geneva - Mar. 5, 2013

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hopefully I found a better image that won't 'blink out.' But when slowing down from 155 mph, I want the articulating vents to also provide air-drag . . . <grins>

When reaching 175 mph, I want those vents CLOSED until needed.

Bob Wilson

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nice, I take it you like that look. To me it looks like the karmann ghia body style would be between cd 0.35-0.4, I couldn't find it by looking it up. Let me know if you have a better guestimate. I don't think vw had a wind tunnel to test designs in back then. The tesla roadster is 0.35, the porsche boxter is 0.29. My guess is the detroit electric's cd is around 0.3-0.35, but again, a wind tunnel is needed. Its low to the ground, which reduces frontal area, and the key to drag is cdA.

For low drag car design you can't beat the ev1 and vw xl1 with cd around 0.19. For production cars the prius (0.25) and tesla (0.24) led the pack, but Mercedes is muscling to the top at 0.23
    2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class will be the world&#039;s most aerodynamic series production vehicle
    I like the look of the higher drag detroit electric better. cd is imporant to require a smaller battery for range, but it all matters how fast you want to go at that range. Here the new car falls a little short with an estimated range of 180 on the euro test. I think the slightly slower (4.4 seconds to 60) but much less expensive and more aero dynamic tesla S performance will be more desireable with its EPA range of 265 and free super chargers. For me 5.6 seconds to 60 is fast enough and I'm eyeing the 60kwh tesla S. With the lower range this thing needs to sell on handling and looks, and the lighter weight and lotus engineered handling will help. I think fisker would have been better off performing his contract to design the S well, and doing body designs on cars like this, instead of starting his own company.

10. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think Fisker Karma was designed for looks and ended up in the subcompact class, Model S designer IMO did much better, a car that is functional for family. Trip to Home Depot
    I look at the specs page; Compare Side-by-Side

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    When Fisker was asked to design Tesla WhiteStar that morphed into the S, I'm sure he was given sized and drag constraints. The karma was designed more as a clean sheet design, which was designed for that class. I don't think you really want to breathe the rarified air up there and think sub compact though. Its got more passenger room than the fisker designed aston martin db9 or the ferrari california which are mini compacts. 0.31 cd is not bad in this class of cars.
    Compare Side-by-Side
    The problem was with execution on the business plan and the mechanicals of the car.

Detroit electric would definitely sell more with a fisker designed body. I have no idea how the mechanicals will end up, but the weight was a problem with the karma, and the detroit electric is less than 2500lbs. The body is carbon fiber, which means other than design costs it would not cost more as a sexier design.

Sergiospl likes this.
  12. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe it should. ;)

The car resembles the lotus exige, and maybe bob is right it may have a very high cd
    2012 Lotus Exige S - Top Speed
    Drag Coefficient 0.433
    But it looks like it does some things to lower it. Being carbon fiber, they ought to be able to fix that before production if they want to change it. That cd is for the new model, but the detroit electric resembles the 2011.

14. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope they make it, at $135,000, it is more expensive than Tesla Model S performance.

15. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd say the odds are long against this company. The trick is if they can build a good follow on prouct.

The case for it - Tesla roadster sold 2400 units. This car accelerates faster and should handle better than the roadster. If this car lives up to its promise it will be a 3.7 second 0 to 100 kmh. The la ferrari hybrid is 1 million euros. Some rich boys will pay for this toy. 999 units are not that many given this cars performance

The case against it - Electric car fans bought the roadster because it was the only long range electric. Many of these customers don't care about getting handling or acceleration any better than the 60 kwh tesla S. That car is much less expensive and more comfortable.

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    For 135 large - Tesla S 60 kwh+ Boxter S or
    Detroit electric targa sp:01

For handling the boxter S and sp:01 are likely tied, but the sp:01 is 0-62 in 3.7 versus 0-60 in 4.2. To me the normal 911 is plenty quick at 4.3 seconds to 60. Tesla S 5.6 seconds to 60.

sp:01 super car acceleration, great handling, unique

Combo - better convertable, better commuter car, More electric range(208 versus maybe 150 epa), better engine note (boxter), can carry back seat passengers more comfortably.

The big question is do you love the looks enough of the sp:01, if its a rich boyz toy, or does the boxter look maybe even a little better, and the tesla satisfies your electric driving.

2013 Porsche Boxster S First Test - Motor Trend