1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble Averted

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RocMills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the long run, a home air pump (electric or hand powered) will be cheaper and far more convenient than the coin-op pumps. And will force less water condensate into your tires.

In the medium run too.

2. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'll add an air pump to my long list of things to buy once I can afford them. Actually, now that I think about it, I may already have a pump at home... the only question is whether or not I have the right nozzle/tip for it. And the tire pressure gauge I have seems to not be working, so I'll need to pick up another one of those.

3. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've been very pleased with the Accutire MS-4021B gauge; it's also available at Amazon but I found it cheaper on eBay.

RocMills likes this.
  4. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Correction: The tires on my car are rated for Max PSI 51 (unless the front and rear tires have different ratings, i didn't check for that). So my current intention is to have the front tires at 42 and the rear at 40.

The roads I regularly drive are not perfect. No potholes, but far from smooth. Does 42/40 sound reasonable given everything I've previously posted?

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    42/40 is pretty common. Go and experiment. We don't drive your roads, so nobody on here can say one is better than the other.

You might get up to 42psi and find the ride too harsh for your taste so take it down a notch. It is a very opinion-oriented subject.

RocMills likes this.
  6. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    High 30's to low 40's sounds perfectly reasonable. I run 40 PSI cold front and 38 PSI cold rear, for what it's worth.

BTW, the reason Toyota suggests slightly higher front tire pressures is because the cars weight is biased to the front, so the front tires need to support more weight.

RocMills likes this.
  7. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Would dealerships typically set the pressure at my requested PSI during a maintenance appointment? Or are they likely to say they have to follow the door placard?

8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good question, Ashley.

I had my tires filled on the way home, and I must say if the 6.3 mile drive after is any indication, I will definitely see a mileage increase. While this afternoon, with under-inflated tires, I was barely able to pull 55 MPG on a 7.4 mile drive... after the inflation of tires, I got 99.9 on that 6.3 mile drive. Yee Haw!

9. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Cold and dark this morning, expected to get really awful mileage on the drive to work. Got 62.3 so I'm not complaining. If I can get 50 or better during the winter, I shan't complain... but it sure is easy to get spoiled by those ultra-high numbers.

10. Indy John

Indy John Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A radial tire design engineer shared his wisdom with us on this forum some years ago. The "Maximum" cold inflation pressure is the tire manufacturer's reference pressure for all of the tire's ratings (load, temperature, traction, life), and there is still an ample margin "built in" for additional pressure from ambient temperature increase and friction temperature increase from driving. The "Maximum" only means that there is no improvement in load carrying capacity above that pressure. It essentially boils down to what cold (undriven on) pressure between Toyota's sticker and the tire's "Maximum" can you comfortably stand to ride on? Is your driving mostly on pot-holed city streets or smooth highway? It's whatever works for you, keeping in mind that there are diminishing returns after a few pounds above sticker. The consensus on this forum is that about 42/40 is "ideal" if you're o.k. with the added ride stiffness. Fifty is not "unsafe" and your tires won't explode, but it probably won't be comfortable on some surfaces. More than Toyota's cushy sticker recommendation is better for the tires and better for you. How much more is your personal choice.

11. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    My tires are now at 40 and the ride is ever-so-slightly joltier, but I'm very sensitive that way. Our streets are not riddled with potholes, but the roads are far from perfectly smooth. So far, I am happy with the current tire pressure and the way the car handles.

12. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    and the increase in mpg is TBD! :)

13. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, no TBD at all! Here are my latest numbers:

6.3 miles at 99.9
    9.7 miles at 80.6
    4.0 miles at 97.8
    5.9 miles at 76.8

Given the cold weather and the fact that I am running the heater (at low setting), I'd say the new tire pressure is doing a great job of helping my MPGs!

14. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like great preliminary data, let us know what it is for a whole tank.

15. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't do whole tanks, lol. That is, I fill up before I'm even half-way empty. My Fuelly signature should chart the results, though. The reason I track the way I do is because the other two people who drive the car have no clue how to drive the car to get the best MPGs. If I know one of them is going to drive the car and crash my average, I fill up even if I'm only down two bars. We need another C in our household so *they* can drive that one and I can keep mine all to myself!

Rob.au likes this.
  16. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I hear ya! When I first got the car, I encouraged my wife to drive it. Now, not so much unless I know that it would cost a lot more if she took the Highlander. I want to try and keep my mileage up.

My mileage even takes a hit if she is in the car, because I can't really drive the way I want to. For instance, when the weather was warmer, many times I didn't put the A/C on, but when she's with me, it goes on!

RocMills likes this.
  17. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same here on the a/c. When I'm driving by myself, I'm content to have the windows down and even sweat a bit, but if I have passengers, I will defer to their comfort. And I think my husband may be incapable of driving without having the heater or the a/c going (depending on the weather, of course). Worse yet, he never turns anything off when he's done driving... radio, heat/air... it can be quite startling when I get in the car later on.

ChinchillaGirl likes this.
  18. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah like lots of other have said max side wall. I check mine every week and have to add a little a lot more than one would guess.

I even find my self sitting in traffic looking at peoples tires and rolling my eyes at their under-inflated tires. As for the dealer messing with your PSI. As long as you tell them they are not likely to put up a fight about it. They are not something they are going to guarantee no matter the PIS. On "go hypermiling" a podcast by the GREAT Wayne Gerdes and friends they talk about PSI and a dealership. The dealer had it on file " DO NOT MESS WITH TIRES!!!!!"

I will be taking my car in really soon for the 5000 so Ill let you know.

19. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Cool, I'll at least give it a try. I guesstimate I've got about a month left to get to 5,000 miles, and I'll probably ask them to set it at 42/40 or 40/38 and see what they say. I do want to get my own pump, though. It's just too much of a pain to use the one at the gas station, so I'm sure my tires are often under-inflated.

I didn't treat my previous car very well at all--only time air was ever added to the tires was at oil changes...which I often probably put off longer than I should have. Trying to be better with this car because I actually care about it. Plus I paid about four times as much for it, lol.

RocMills likes this.
  20. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I tried the gas station pump twice, all I did was frustrate the bejeezus out of myself, dirty my hands, and probably let more air out than I put in. I find that a lone female driver will get fast and free service at someplace like Big O or Discount Tire or Ted Weins if you pull in when they are not busy. If you want to drop the guy a buck or two as a tip, all the better. Now that I know what to look for, there must be half a dozen such places on my daily/weekly commute. On the other hand, if that air pump we bought to till a plastic pool is as good as it claims, I just need a decent pressure gauge and I can fill on my own.