1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble Averted

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RocMills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Revan, you bring up a good question. How often should I be checking my tire pressure? At this point in time, I'm probably only putting less than 50 miles a day on the car.

2. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    About as much as you can without going crazy :ROFLMAO::LOL:o_O:ROFLMAO:

3. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Where's the "sticking my tongue out at you" icon?

How about if I just get myself a good gauge (that would be step one), and then check whenever I'm at the gas station? Yes, I know, most people would only be filling this car once a month, but I like to fill when I'm 2-3 bars down. For one thing, you never know when gas prices will increase by 30 cents overnight.

4. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
  5. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    With a new car and new tires the need for pressure checks are minimal. Still, they must be done.

Manual pressure gauges can be had for less than $2 in most places. Any parts store will have some at the counter. Wal-Mart has them back in the auto section. I have one for each car and motorcycle, extras in my tool chest, and a couple down in the shed with the mower. I have found them to be consistent in their results. They are all non-electronic. It's been difficult to find an electronic one that I really like. I have gone through a number of them, thrown away most, and kept two. When you find one you like, keep it close.

I check my tires officially every couple of months. I look at them every time I walk up or walk away. I make it a point to feel them every time I drive. After having tire problems over the decades, a person tends to keep them in mind. I'm also am hyper-sensitive to the smell of anti-freeze. Like the time at the stoplight where I smelled anti-freeze and felt that electric shock go through my body...until I remembered I was riding my Harley (air cooled.)

Check your tire pressures and remember what they look like and feel like. Keep an eye on them. Check again in a month or two. Remember that pressures change with the seasons and to keep them at the chosen level. Find a couple of air stations near where you live and work. Other than that, no worries!

6. jsfabb

jsfabb Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  7. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I run my tires on both my cars at 40/38. However yesterday the dealer rotated them and set them to 36/36. The first thing I noticed was how quiet they were at that pressure. I guess I had just got used to the noise at 40/38 but man, 36/36 is quiet!

So I pumped them up to 40/40 now and now will experiment with 39/39 and 38/38 until I get to a noise/MPG range that I can accept.

All to think that all this time I though the tires were crummy because they were so loud.

RocMills likes this.
  8. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I haven't noticed that my tires are louder now, but the ride is just a tad bumpier - not enough to bother me, though.

9. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    I noticed that they were louder when I was turning corners at 40/38.

10. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I thought it was under-inflated tires that squealed going around corners...

11. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    No not squealing. Kind of like a rough grating sound on corners, like the tires are complaining. When the pressure was lowered they quieted up. Anyway, I've never had a tire respond this way to when hardened up with air pressure.

12. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Huh. As I've never much paid attention to tire pressure before, I'll just nod my head and await your further reports. :)

13. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    With 46% giving it five stars, the fact that people are more likely to review when they're dissatisfied, and the fact that it's only $30, it might be worth the risk for me :) Do you have any others you'd suggest? I haven't looked all that much.

14. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw a couple on Amazon that were rated a bit better for about the same price. Nothing outstandingly better through. I think any of the 4 star rated ~$30 ones are worth the risk.

Edit: Removed ref to Harbor Freight $9 compressor. I had good experience with one but the reviews show I was in a small minority.

15. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Chance favors the prepared mind.

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Nod your head, look thoughtful, and await further report...

I haven't been able to get the tires on the C to squeal. I can in truck, can't in the Camaro, and the wifes Prius only a little bit. A lot of it depends on the tires. The good part is that you hear the squealing and can tell you're close to the limit. No squeal, no can tell. Bad juju.

RocMills likes this.
  16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That is a very good idea.

While the digital gauges can be entertaining, and serve as a check, a decent quality stick gauge is just fine. Plus no batteries to deal with. That's the basic gauge that looks like a pen, and the tire's pressure pushes out a post with psi lines.

You might need to buy one or two before you have a keeper. I recently picked up an extra one, and I can't for the life of me get it to seat properly on the valve.

The old one (later found it) has no such problems. It also reads up to and beyond 60 psi, which you'll need to check the spare. And while I've heard gauges that read the higher psi can be inaccurate, this one seems fine, checking with a digital and another stick type.

If you're looking for a place with air, maybe try Chevron stations. Up here they're the only outfit still providing *free* air, and their pumps are pretty dependable, easily accessible.

If you want some aerobic exercise, you can actually raise car tire pressures with a *decent* bicycle tire pump, though it takes a bit of work. I've got one that is pretty efficient, but the hose clip on mechanism is a bear. I only use it in a pinch, mainly just get air at the station.

Keep in mind to make the air the *first* stop on your list, hopefully only a mile or two. The more you drive the more tire pressures climb, and cold pressure is your target. If you do have to travel further to get air: check them cold, then recheck before adding air, and overshoot by at least that factor. Then check them the next day or so, when cold, and bleed out excess as needed.

Geesh, I writing a novel. ;D

RocMills likes this.
  17. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I have had zero issues since inflating my tires to 40 PSI. Mileage does seem improved, given the colder weather. Sans a block heater, though, I will definitely need to either rethink my MPG expectations, or do something to block the cold air. I know all about the block heater, but have many questions about same.

18. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's my "problem" at the moment. We have this terribly cool looking pressure gauge, but it doesn't seem to be friendly with the rims on my C. I swear that I let out far more air than necessary when trying to use that gauge, so I'm in the market for anther.

19. Revan86

Revan86 Animal nerd and alt car guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    *waves hand*
    You dont need to rethink MPG. You need a grill block, you need block hearter, YOU NEED more MPG.

20. RocMills

RocMills Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Gri
    Grill block, yes indeed. I think the heater is beyond my abilities, though. :-(