1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble Averted

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RocMills, Oct 22, 2012.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Best to read the reviews with a critical eye. Reviews are unfortunately tainted by bought praise, but it can be recognized by the shallow writing.

2. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The product you refer to above is probably underpowered for what you want.

I still have the "Bon Aire Airtech 12volt truck and Rv tire compressor, 300psi" I got for my old RAV4, and it is just fine for the C. I carry it with me everywhere.

I don't see that this exact model is available now (I bought it 6 or 7 years ago), but I would look for more power.

This one is very portable, with a flashlight, handle, autostop setting at a desired pressure on a dial gauge, and the cords are stored in the unit. It is loud, but I can do all four tires without overheating it. My SO has the 250psi version which is cuter and more compact, but a little under powered.

Don't trust the gauge in it for checking to see if you need air in the first place- get a good small digital or dial style gauge (pen style popups not recommended).

I wouldn't feel safe driving in the mountains without it...

3. megaoptimus

megaoptimus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Chin, what do you have in mind when you make this suggestion? Any suggestions for a good portable air compressor? I have a really large and loud one in the garage; not really practical.

4. ChinchillaGirl

ChinchillaGirl OrcaCar

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry that I was not clear- there are small compressors under 300 psi, which I suggest are a little too underpowered, and I use the "trust, but verify" method of using a second gauge besides the one in the the device to check my pressure.

The compressor I am discussing is a good one (300psi), small, loud and vibrates a lot. The dial in it has an auto-shutoff needle that works well, but I always double-check with a different gauge before and after. It fits right in the trunk, and the cord rolls up into a storage compartment in the unit. Has a flashlight built in...it is "Truck-size" but it won't over-inflate (300psi gives you a faster pump and the noise/power draw are therefore of shorter duration). My C did just fine running it off the 12 volt. lower power smaller pumps will work, but may take longer.

I did find it in a search this afternoon (unavailable at this vendor, but there is a picture).
    [​IMG]
    This product is no longer available. Continue shopping at Northern Tool.
    Bon Aire Truck Tire Inflator with Fan-Cooled Motor — 300 PSI

Item# 2000420
    Heavy-duty air compressor plugs into your vehicles 12V receptacle to inflate truck and SUV tires. Auto shut-off feature turns compressor off when pre-set pressure is reached. Also has a 4-way emergency light and quick-connect toggle chuck. Includes a 14ft. power cord and built-in fan-cooled motor for extended use. 3-year limited warranty. CFM at 90 PSI: 0.2, Max. PSI: 275, Volts: 12, Amps: 9, HP: 0.14, Air Tank Size (gal.): N/A, Tank Description: N/A, Pump: Single-Stage Cylinder (Iron), Air Outlet Size (in.): N/A, Portable or Stationary: Portable, Dimensions L x W x H (in.): 6 7/8 x 3 3/4 x 11 1/4
    Northern Tool - Bon Aire Truck Tire Inflator with Fan-Cooled Motor — 300 PSI customer reviews - product reviews - read top consumer ratings
    [​IMG]

5. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In regards to a portable air compressor, I've got an analog ~$15 one from Slime that I got at Walmart. They also have a digital one now with auto-stop. AAA has a branded one that is more or less the same thing I have, for $15.

I will say this: In the details about the one I got, it says "easy-to-read and accurate gauge", but I remember reading in the manual that you should never use the compressor's gauge to measure pressure. Once you inflate your tire, you are supposed to use a separate gauge to check the pressure. How silly. I hope the digital ones are a bit more accurate and reliable.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What is the impact on the front end for going past the recommendation?

Impact in Alignment, struts and springs?

7. orangePruisC

orangePruisC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  8. orangePruisC

orangePruisC New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

9. Raidin

Raidin Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I picked up the Slime digital compressor. The manual still reads "check actual tire pressure with separate tire pressure gauge". Also, while it's handy to inflate the tires with a preset pressure and let it auto-shut off with that new feature, this compressor comes with a screw-on tip, which causes the tire to deflate a bit as you reach the end of the screw on motion. This means it also releases a bit of air as you screw it off again once you're done inflating. I've decided to set my PSI to 1 higher to compensate.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll use a bicycle pump in a pinch, the type that has two feet on the floor and a tube. The one I have has a dial pressure gage that keeps you appraised of your progress. It'll bring a car tire up through a few pounds with about 30 strokes. I wouldn't recommend the make I got (Schwin) though, it's a bit of a handful, hard to install on the valve, and there a lot of bad reviews on the 'net. Works, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices.

Mostly I just add air at the gas station.

11. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Would this hold water with an accident investigator or an insurance adjustor (Life, Disability or Auto)?

12. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Saved your bacon, I guess.