1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

trouble getting the front bolt to thread (LCA replacement)!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by xaerieon, Aug 29, 2022.

1. xaerieon

xaerieon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    folks! Thanks in advance for your help with my issue. I decided I would replace the struts and front lower control arms on my 2008 Prius. Strut assemblies went in without a problem. I had to put in a little elbow grease and consult the YouTube, but eventually managed to get the right tools together to get both the front lower control arms out. I even managed to get the dreaded passenger side off, prying down slightly on the sub-frame to get the front bolt (19mm) out and clear of the oil pan. Maybe luck was with me on that side in putting in the replacement because it seems I found a good alignment for both of the holes on the front bolt by accident by wiggling it. The drivers' side has not been so easy and has left me scratching my head, tho.

Does anyone have any recomm

2. xaerieon

xaerieon New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    somehow I managed to post this before I was done editing it and I left off a bit of my post. Trying to edit it led to my edit being flagged as spam:

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to easily align the bolt holes for the LCA? When I say front bolt, I mean the bolt that faces out toward the front of the car. On the passenger side, this would be the same bolt requiring you to drop the subframe or jack up the motor mounts to gain enough clearance from the oil pan to remove. I managed to wiggle that side in place by accident while turning the bolt with my socket wrench, but there must be a better way. Please let me know if my description of the bolt I'm talking about isn't clear.