1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble in Snow with Stock Tires?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Betelgeuse, Jan 2, 2006.

?
  1. Yes. Major problems. >35 PSI

100.0%
  2. Yes. Major problems. <35 PSI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes. Minor problems. >35 PSI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes. Minor problems. <35 PSI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No. >35 PSI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No. <35 PSI

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We've all read posts about how awful the stock tires are on wet surfaces. The trouble is, I've never had problems with them in the snow or on any wet surfaces. I wonder if this has to do with the fact that my tires are NOT currently inflated to the 40/42 PSI that people suggest for the best mileage (they were in the summer, but I've let the pressure come down with the colder weather), or if it's something else. Toyota recommends 32/30, so there must be some reason for that.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

I never had any problem with the Integritys on wet surfaces or snow, either. I always had them inflated to the factory recommended pressure and would probably still have them had it not been for a punctured sidewall. FWIW....

3. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Conversely, I've had A LOT of problems with them in snowy/slushy conditions. Keep in mind the area I operate my Prius within has a lot topography, and many backroads I need to get through are barely plowed.

4. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Cold weather does a decent job of deflating your tires for you.... about 1 psi for every 10 degrees F.

But Manufacters realize most people are not so sensitive to MPG, only ride and feel.
    10 less psi really changes the feel of the road "takes it away!" and gives you that nice smooth feel. Tires are your first line of defense as shock absorbers.
    Manufacters are in to selling tires based on user wants.... as long as your psi is under the max rating, your in good shape. They are also "very" sensitive to lawsuits and will not give you a rating that is dangerous or borderline safe for you.

I don't have my pruis yet, so I'm not qualified to talk much further about this issue. :(

5. plasm

plasm New Member

I believe the recommended pressure is 35/33, not 32/30.

http://www.vfaq.net/FAQ-suspension_tire.html

6. Brian K

Brian K New Member

Last spring we had a wet snow storm. You know the type, the second the tires hit it it changes to ice.

On the way home it was clear that the driving was the pits. The TC and VSC got the vehicle home (I hate to admit that, but it's true). The OEM tires were on it, there simply wasn't enough winter left for us to put snow tires on the vehicle. Even with the crappy tires the Prius made it up our VERY difficult to climb hill first time. Sure TC and VSC both kicked in, but it made it. That's Kudus for the Prius, I thought I'd have to tow it up the hill, I never would have attempted it with the old Saturn SW2.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm. Very possible. I just took the first thing that I could find online; there was a post somewhere here that said 32/30, and I found that at some Toyota site, too. But if that's what the manual says, I guess we can take that as the official "company line."

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And your tires are inflated to something less than (or equal to) 35 psi?

9. jchu

jchu New Member

I changed out for Goodyear TT's before dealing with any significant snow or ice last winter due to the reported problems so cannot comment personally.

However...

One of my partners at work has a Honda Pilot. It's OEM's are also Goodyear Integrity's. He reports that returning to the Boise area from a ski trip in McCall, a winding mountainous road was sheer hell on the Integrity's We have little enough snow in the Boise area that dedicated winter traction tires are unwarranted. However, when we do get snow it usually ices over on the side streets as they are almost never plowed. I have also had the Goodyear Tripletreds through the Blues and Snoqualmie Pass in inclement weather several times and as an all weather tire their performance is excellent.

P.S. In all weather tires Consumer Reports rated the Goodyear Tripletreds second. In first place was the other tire often mentioned here, the Michelin Hydroedge. The Goodyear ComfortTreds were somewhat lower down.

10. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    What is snow?