1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble jumpstarting Prius after inactivity

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by StuartPrius, Apr 21, 2020.

1. StuartPrius

StuartPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey!

My 2016 Prius has been sat stationary for 4 weeks during COVID. On Saturday I turned it on and got a 12V Battery warning and couldn't start the car. I ordered a Stanley Fatmax 700 battery jumper which arrived today. Today I couldn't turn the car on and get no response from the car at all. Regardless I tried jump starting the car and have had no luck.

Is it the battery or is it me? I have no idea what I'm doing, I bought this, my first car a year ago (in part due to some great comments I read here!) and have loved it. However I know what I don't know...and that's cars!

Unfortunately my account is not old enough to post an image of the battery as I'm curious if I'm doing something obviously wrong in terms of where I'm connecting the jumper cable. Any other ideas? Could the battery now have died beyond jumpable repair?

Attached Files:

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure the fatmax is fully charged. disconnect the negative cable from the 12v and hook the fatmax to the negative cable and the positive cable/post. might be a short in the battery.

after you get it running, you're going to have to charge it, and see if she holds. if not, replace it and get a battery maintainer while you're not driving much.

amos and krmcg like this.