1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble shooting dash symbols

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kenlocks, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Kenlocks

Kenlocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello i have a 2007 with the red triangle & yellow ((!)) on, the symbols return after 1 minute of resetting aux battery" any ideas of where i should start ? all or any help is greatly appreciated
    "

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you need to have the trouble codes read. how many miles on her?

you can either take it to a dealer, or buy a mini vci if you have an old windows laptop.

some codes can be read by an auto parts store, but not all.

3. Kenlocks

Kenlocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello" she has just turned 270k , i took it to auto store & there meter showed no codes" i do have an old windows dell laptop" using it now" it's updated to windows 7" i'm charging the aux battery now & changing the oil" & my brakes are wore thin was thinking it could be brake sensor on calipers?? was going to check that after oil change"

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything is possible. you can get the mini vci on amazon or ebay. $25. or so, and see if it is compatible with your laptop. it may have viruses, so don't use the laptop for anything else. it contains the software for all toyota troubleshooting.

Kenlocks likes this.
  5. Kenlocks

Kenlocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    10-4 Much ThanX " will do" i charged the aux battery & went for test drive & no dashlight symbols" may be aux battery" a few months ago i replaced 2 of the cells in the 200v battery & battery has been staying strong" so should eliminate 200v battery for the problem" The dealers around here charge way too much to just look at the car " $250 just to diagnose ?? they wanted to charge me $3000 for new 200v battery" when it just cost me $40 for the 2 cells"

bisco likes this.
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're just taking shots in the dark until your Mini VCI shows up.

All will be revealed .... :)

-Chap

Kenlocks likes this.
  7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There's no sensors on the brake calipers. Only sensors in that area are the ABS speed sensors on all 4 corners.

Keep an eye on the brake fluid level because as you go super thin on the pads the calipers hyper stroke and use all the fluid you got. There is a low brake fluid sensor.

It showed no codes because your probably throwing hybrid codes that the auto parts store reader cant decode.

#7 edthefox5, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015
    Kenlocks likes this.
  8. Kenlocks

Kenlocks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok "Much ThanX"
    Will Do" Thankyou" I really like this car" i will order the Mini VCI soon" i tested the aux battery& was 11.7v." I charged" & haven't had the red triangle & yellow ((!)) symbols come back on".
    Just changed my motor oil,last oil change I used a fully synthetic 5w30, went the recommended 10k & watched my 55 mpg go down to 44mpg towards the 10k". I just changed to a 10w40" went thicker, due to no oil leaks, yet loosing oil due to burning up through the rings with the lower compression from so many miles on the motor" just turned 270k,& now I'm getting 54-55mpg again" Is there a sensor for the compression in the motor? was thinking that could have been the cause of the red triangle & yellow ((!)) ?? i know shots in the dark" Much ThanX for your time & help is greatly appreciated"

"ThanX" will get one soon" how many mpg do you get on your plug-in" ?

#8 Kenlocks, Dec 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2015