1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trouble Starting with Multiple Warning lights.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ClapAlongChorus, Jul 14, 2021.

1. ClapAlongChorus

ClapAlongChorus New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So over the last three months, about once or twice a week, when I start the Prius it will go into accessory mode without starting the engine. The AC will run, the entertainment system will turn on, but when I try to put the car in gear, it will just beep. During this time there will be multiple warning lights on the dash:

Red Car Battery Icon
    Red "BRAKE"
    Red Steering Wheel with exclamation point
    Yellow Check engine Light
    Yellow ABS
    Yellow Exclamation Point in Circle with Parenthesis
    Yellow Traction light (on the right)

After a few minutes if I push the power button again, the engine will start, the lights will go away, and I can put the car in gear.

I should probably mention its a 2015 Prius. I know there's a recall with the Hybrid system but the Hybrid warning light isn't lighting up.

So any experts out there know what this could be? Or where I could go to look up what this combination of warning lights could mean?

I bought the Prius in 2017 and it's possible there could be time to replace the 12V battery. But curious if I should preparing for a trip to the dealer.

2. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    More than possible, I think it is likely.
    At least have it charged and tested.
    At 7 years old, I vote for replacing it.

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    is the amber light lit as you press down on the start stop button?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see if the brake lights come on when you step on the pedal. if not, push harder. you might need a brake switch adjustment or replacement.

ClapAlongChorus likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, because car won’t allow engine to start unless it detects brake pedal is depressed. Good to check.
    Test the battery for sure. Armed with a digital multimeter you can easily check the voltage yourself. Anything lower than 12.4, it’s likely time.

For more in-depth test, an electronic load tester is good. Many automotive retailers selling batteries will have these, and will test for free. Dealerships have them too, but (as usual) will more’n likely charge for testing.

ClapAlongChorus likes this.