1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubled rearview mirror

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by james nancy, Sep 12, 2021.

1. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The rearview mirror of my car will be retracted when the car is locked. I checked the switch panel and did not find the switch to turn it off, and I found that other cars do not have this phenomenon. Can this be turned off? I think that frequent withdrawals will fail one day in the future.

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you mean the side mirrors? The rearview mirror is in the middle of the windshield and I can't imagine it retracting.

In any case, AFAIK, only the Japanese market cars get the nice stuff. Automatic side mirror folding is mostly on luxury cars. If you check the owner's manual, I expect that it will list that feature as either not something you can change or only a dealer can change it.

If it can't be changed, I'm pretty sure the motors can be unplugged.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've also heard of people buying the JDM folding mirrors and installing them as a mod.

I don't know if the original JDM cars have switches to enable/disable the folding, but I suppose it's possible somebody might install the mirrors as a mod and maybe not install every other part of the system.

4. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This car is indeed a second-hand car imported from Japan. Other feelings including fuel consumption are not problematic, but I am worried that repeated folding of the side mirrors will affect the life. There is a switch inside, but turning it on is worse. He can retract the side mirrors while driving. Don't understand why this switch is designed

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Many cars have automatic folding side mirrors. I have not heard of them being any more of a problem than other motorized items in the car. As I said before, you can probably unplug them. But then you might not be able to fold them manually when you need to.

james nancy likes this.
  6. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you for your reply, let it be like this, I don't want to lose the folding function, sometimes the parking lot is crowded

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. MegaMix

MegaMix New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What do you mean by retracted? Like it automatically turns itself in a different direction?

8. james nancy

james nancy Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It is the side mirror folded to make it close to the front window glass.