1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

troubleshoot dash warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by TimCom, Nov 5, 2018.

1. TimCom

TimCom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 prius. I have red triangle, exclam in circle, VSC, and check engine. Car runs/drives fine. Research points to inverter pump. I can hear and feel it running now, but couldn't earlier. Should it run constantly? if it's the one directly behind left headlight. There's another pump in back of radiator near that one, too? I see turbulence in pink fluid in resv in top center of engine. Is it level sensitive? I see no float sensor and the difference between full and low seems VERY small. Where's this third coolant tank? Thanks

2. TimCom

TimCom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

How did you determine what to research, do you have a OBD2 reader or known DTCs?

That inverter pump should be running at all times. The liquid level is not that sensitive, but keep it between the lines and bleed.

Do you have access to an OBD2 reader or can you visit the local auto parts store and borrow one?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are tons of things that can trigger those lights. I'm pretty sure that if they had a separate light for every possibility, there would be no room for people in the car. You'll need an OBDII reader that can read the proprietary Prius hybrid codes. Many, if not most, scanners at parts stores don't have that capability, but it's free, so worth a try. You'll need the code and the sub code to point you in the right direction.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. TimCom

TimCom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I really appreciate it. I have to fix my wife's prius asap. I guessed at the inverter pump based on what I read here and other sites. I'm a mechanic, but I only work on Porsche 944's from the 1980's, so no OBDII. Funny that I help people online with 944 problems all the time, and NOW, I need the help. I'll get the codes somehow to verify the failure. Link me to a step by step how to on the pump replacement?
    Thanks again.

6. TimCom

TimCom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, OBDII scanner at oreilly's says: P0A80, P0441,P0445, P3000, C1310, C1378. I had to add a qt of oil as well. Just loosened the radiator cap and pink coolant came out so that seems topped off. If the inverter pump is directly behind the left headlight, It's vibrating, so it's pumping and the flow across the the top of the pink resv (top center of the engine) is moving fine.

7. TimCom

TimCom New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm told we need more detailed codes? Going to a toyota shop today. $50 to plug in and read the codes.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How many miles on her?

9. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    How long have the lights been appearing? Assuming the 12V battery is not discharged, the P0A80 and P3000 do not bode well. You will still need the sub-codes from a Prius compatible reader to determine the exact source of the problem, but it looks like your HV battery either has corrosion or has modules that are failing. Fixing that will involve expensive parts, a lot of labor, or both.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0A80 is a defective hybrid battery. There should be a sub code to tell you more specifically what's wrong with it. It may be a bad cell, but corrosion in the voltage sensing wires can give false reading.

The 441 & 445 are in the evaporative system. Could be as simple as a loose gas cap. I just got a Prius, and now 2 error codes P0441 P0455... | PriusChat

The 3000 I think is associated with the P0A80.

davecook89t likes this.
  11. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If the car is less than 10yrs/150K miles, you might have hit HV battery lotto. Ca is a CARB State.

A dealer will need to confirm P0A80 themselves for warranty.

If you are just outside of warranty (time/miles), ask for goodwill assistance. You are at the mercy of Toyota Customer service. Some people get lucky and get a significant chuck of the bill paid for, leaving them a relatively small amount left to pay (maybe <$1k).

12. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The traction battery has failed, which is the meaning of P0A80. P0441 points to a problem with a fuel tank evaporative emissions leak, the vapor pressure sensor or the evaporative vacuum service valve.

Regarding your question about whether the inverter coolant pump is working, you need to look at the coolant reservoir located between the engine and the inverter. I'm not sure if that is what you meant when you said "top center of the engine".