1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubleshoot - Hybrid/Aux Battery Codes (P0A80/P3022)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jonathan St. Vincent, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Jonathan St. Vincent

Jonathan St. Vincent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Typically I see myself as a fairly understanding DIYer, but this one has me uncertain... Happy to add more detail as available to help diagnose this. Thanks in advance!

Backstory:

Replaced complete hybrid pack with NewPriusBatteries on a 2007 w/ 60k-ish miles about 2 years ago due to original hybrid battery failure. Aux battery (TrueStart) replaced about 3.5 years ago by dealership (prior to purchase).​

Situation:

There are about 20k miles on the battery over the past 2 years. I have been intermittently popping code P0A80 for a few months; no block code was presented at that time.

Initial diagnosis was to test the aux battery (false hybrid code positive), which showed a low charge. Aux battery was trickle charged for about a week (auto-stop charger), and went back up to decent "%" charge. Initial code went away for a week, then started popping again.

Next decided to spend the hours to pull the hybrid battery and voltmeter the cells (to my back's chagrin). All cells tested normal, and I also cleaned a couple bus bars of corrosion. Codes went away again for two weeks, then came back...

This time, I now have a P0A80 and (finally) a P3022 block code. However, I am still concerned if the aux battery might be the culprit.​

Questions:

• Do these symptoms clearly tell those with experience that it is for certain a bad cell, or possibly still the aux battery?
    • Is it worth taking to the dealership for the $150 diag? (If the aux, they should warranty the 84-month battery.)
    • Are there further diagnostics I can run (e.g. "duh, go get TechStream") or other recommendations?
    • Should I pursue a warranty cell from NPB?

SFO likes this.
  2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Given the DTCs (OBD2 codes) reported (P0A80 and P3022), this would be the best course of action.

Please report back in this thread.

3. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Having more data is very useful when determining the cause of a HV battery code. Using an app such as Dr Prius or Hybrid Assistant (android) with a compatible OBD2 bluetooth adapter (see DrPrius site) will let you view and log the block voltages as you drive the car.

I would certainly contact NPB for info and next steps to take.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

4. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This will be an interesting thread to follow... After a couple years of sales, NewPriusBatteries was bound to have a pack with problems. I wonder if this is a one time glitch or the first sign of trouble with this product? Hope the owner is able to help you replace this bad module.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Never too late to log in and offer an update (y)

PriusCamper likes this.