1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubleshooting 2nd gen squeel

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Swells_22, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Swells_22

Swells_22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hello all, new member here. I've been trying to troubleshoot a loud squealing noise coming from my engine/trans axle area of my 2007 prius touring with 171,000 miles. When I accelerate I hear a loud metal on metal type squeeling noise. This noise is only present when accelerating and doesn't happen when I'm off the accelerator or turning. I've changed out my trans axle fluid, serpentine belt, water pump and belt tensioner. The Toyota dealer told me it was a water pump, so I reluctantly Changed that out this last weekend with no change to my issues. I've so noticed a significant loss in Mpg and power since this noise has been present. I do have a bad catalytic converter that I've thought could be clogged leading to an excess of back pressure to the motor. I've spent hours on various forums trying to find a resolve to this but have yet to find someone describing the same issues that I have. Any ideas or knowledge on this would be highly appreciated.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Are there any warning lights being displayed on the dash?

Is the noise present when you jack up the front end?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

Swells_22 likes this.
  3. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hope you did the pump yourself and didn’t pay the dealer to do it. are there any belt pulleys that could be binding?

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go YouTube search:

Prius Inspection

it will show you the button chicken dance to put the engine in inspection mode. Engine will then run continuously until shut off. Don’t drive it like that just use it to listen carefully to the engine. Get under the car also to listen under there.

no code so strictly mechanical.

sure does sound like the belt idler but it has been changed. Is belt on too tight? Never heard this on this site without it being either pump or belt.

Has the engine ever thrown a check engine light because it ran so low on engine oil?

you live in Florida so no emissions check. There’s a $125 cat on Amazon I put on my 07 and car ran better and never threw a code for months before I sold it. Cost me $100 to get old cat off and new one welded back on.
    your cat may be so clogged it’s killing the engine. Which means the engine is a bad oil eater. Which usually means you had a no oil inthe engine event.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are some threads where posting a recording can be worth a thousand words, and this might be one of those.

Another likes this.
  6. Swells_22

Swells_22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There are no warning lights associated with this issue. I have not jacked it up to listen to it. My next game plan might be to jack up the front end and run it in maintenance mode to see if i can target the noise. I have ran it in maintenance mode on the ground, but I couldn't get the engine under enough load to make this noise.

7. Swells_22

Swells_22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, I changed it myself. There's no other pulleys that it could be unless it's a crank bearing/crank pulley. The belt only incorporates the water pump, crank and tensioner. I've adjusted the tightness of the belt to see if the sound changes but it didn't.

8. Swells_22

Swells_22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So I've put it in maintenance mode but could not duplicate the discrepancy due to not being able to put the engine under enough load. I've spent hours rereading through various prius forums and have yet to read one that resembles my exact issues. I've seen those cheap cats and have read up on them. That may be my next move. I appreciate your input.

9. Swells_22

Swells_22 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Good idea. I'll try to post a video on here when I get off work today.