1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

troubleshooting beyond the bland C1259 and C1310

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Thomas Brazen, Jun 9, 2022.

1. Thomas Brazen

Thomas Brazen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    there also was a B1412 which recently came along...

So these aren't really good for much when trying to diagnose it seems. Techstream threw these back and there isn't any subcode that goes further. My car has been sitting for the past week and doesn't have much charge in it, the toyota dealer was able to jump the car and get it to run somehow so when I got home I changed the 12v battery and my results weren't similar. Naively I changed the inverter pump but turns out the EFI fuse was blowing so I'm considering trying to check the EFI M relay or ECU connectors...

Last week when driving home after the gym the car shut down mid way. The light came on and I was able to drive a bit further until the car started to slow. At the time it was P3000 and U0100, also the hybrid battery I have was replaced by the dealer seven years ago with about 80% life still on it.

When I replace the EFI fuse the car will attempt to start then go into limp mode.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed?

#1 Thomas Brazen, Jun 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1259 and C1310 are codes that are set in the brake/skid ECU, and all they mean is that the brake/skid ECU knows that there are codes in the HV control ECU and/or the battery ECU. (I don't know exactly what car you're talking about, because you haven't said, and your profile says "other non-hybrid", so I'm kind of answering for a Gen 2 because you posted in this forum.)

A "C1259 and C1310 without other codes" story almost always means somebody is using a generic scan tool that shows codes from the brake ECU, but doesn't show the codes that matter from the other ECUs because it doesn't know about those.

However, if you are actually using Techstream and its health check doesn't show you any codes under Hybrid Control, then something else is wrong, say, Techstream isn't able to communicate with those ECUs for some reason. Can you post a screenshot of the health check results?

3. Thomas Brazen

Thomas Brazen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that is the case. After running a health check I did a basic ODB II read (through the techstream interface) to see if they'd give something similar but there was a prompt about it not being able to communicate with the ECU. I have a 2nd gen (2006) toyota prius with a smart key.

4. Thomas Brazen

Thomas Brazen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_0791.jpg

iPhone ?

5. Thomas Brazen

Thomas Brazen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IMG_0796.jpg
    Tried again just now and got back a b1210 code

iPhone ?

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Your health check is only showing results from seven ECUs. There are around a dozen in the car (still assuming your car is a Gen 2 Prius). The ones that aren't showing up here include the engine control module and the hybrid-vehicle control ECU.

Those are kind of big deals. Your car has a network communication issue of some kind. The sections in the repair manual on "multiplex communication" and "CAN communication system" will have the information needed for sorting that out.

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It | PriusChat

7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unlikely that this will solve you current issue(s), but given that the 12v connection was removed, it would be best to clean up the MAF, butterfly valve, and surrounding throttle body area. Use a toothbrush and vodka/iso on the throttle body/butterfly, then MAF cleaner on the MAF sensor.

You may be able to skip the MAF cleaning if it has been cleaned recently or if the vehicle has lower mileage, how many miles on the vehicle?

Have you had a chance to look up the above OBD2 codes (DTCs), and were you able to go through the workups step-by-step?

8. Thomas Brazen

Thomas Brazen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    144k miles and no there wasn’t any step by step to follow. Or if there was I didn’t know how to get into it. When the little snowflake appears is that when you can see it?

iPhone ?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The OP is mostly only seeing the codes that say there are other codes.

The codes that matter are the ones that aren't showing up, from the ECUs that aren't even showing up in the Techstream health check.

That's its own problem worth solving, right there.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think you click on the snowflake

11. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The step by step workups are contained in the factory repair manual, use a known DTC and the advanced search feature in the gen2 forums for the needed links. If you have trouble finding the workups, someone (including myself) will likely post them for you.

At 144k, clean up the butterfly valve, including throttle body that surrounds it, and the MAF as well. Then you won't have to worry for awhile.

When techstream offers a code (DTC) with a snowflake to the left of it, click on the snowflake to find/locate the related 3 digit subcode (AKA : detailed code, or INF). Knowing any related subcode(s) may help in isolating and potentially fixing the issue in a timely manner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since you've reported recently seeing P3000 and U0100 (both could have related INFs), it would a good idea to start there by checking for corrosion on the HV ECU connections (male/female), and the voltage sense harness (wire frame #2) the connects the modules.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If those look good, then take a peak inside the ECU and look for internal corrosion or whiskers :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Be sure to clean the HV battery fan, and the related connections as well :

[​IMG]

The patina showing on the connectors below is corrosion :

[​IMG]

Notice the broken pin in the connector below :

[​IMG]

Thomas Brazen and bisco like this.
  12. Thomas Brazen

Thomas Brazen New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

iPhone ?

13. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Actually, that B1210 is interesting. It's a code saying that the gateway module has lost communication with the power source control ecu. When you push the power button twice, what happens - what lights up on the dashboard?

Your health check should have reports from 16 ecu's (possibly 17 if you have navigation). You are "missing": ECM, hybrid control, HV battery, SRS,occupant detection, power source control, transmission control (parking pawl), cruise control, and smart key.

One of my first checks would be to use the power button to switch to "ignition on" mode (with a battery charger connected to keep the 12V system voltage up) then check every fuse in both fuse boxes for power and that none are blown.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.