1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubleshooting Cause of Sudden Drop in Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by creature0077, Aug 14, 2015.

1. creature0077

creature0077 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My '05 Prius has been going strong with just passing the 200k mark recently. However about 2-3 weeks ago after I replaced the PCV valve, I started getting really bad gas mileage. I'm talking about getting an average of 45 mpg in city/highway combo down to 30 mpg.
    Filled up my tank twice from empty so I'm pretty sure it's not just bad gas. Highway driving does slightly better than city.

Today I noticed that my acceleration from stop is just absolutely terrible. The car responds really slow and sluggish and takes a while for it to realize I want to go. Low speed doesn't get good mileage at all. It seems I get normal mileage at almost 65 mph, not sure why.

I don't think the 100 degree weather we are having here in Texas is causing THAT much of an effect because last year and two years ago during 100 degrees, gas mileage was normal.

Anyone have a suggestion of what to check? I searched the forums and most talk about cold weather. I have a relatively new 12V gel battery so I doubt it is that but I can try disconnecting it if that might help.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No clue how, but if it just started happening after the PCV valve replacement, maybe there's a clue. Forgot to reconnect something, introduced a vacuum leak??

bisco likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Be sure all the advanced tech in your Prius doesn't distract you from remembering all the usual suspects. Has your car become harder to roll? I've seen Bob Wilson advocate doing controlled downhill roll tests: you need to find a downhill where the traffic is light enough you can start at the top and roll down in neutral, trying to match all your test variables (temperature, wind, how you start off, etc.) as closely as possible, and you see what speed you've reached when you cross a known point at the bottom. Of course this is most useful if you did it the first time when your car was in top shape, to get a baseline figure. Then later on you can tell if something got worse.

My latest Prius adventure was a dragging brake. Doesn't matter how advanced the hybrid powertrain is, asbestos pads grabbing the wheel rotor will make a slug out of it just as well as any other car.

I schemed up a test that worked pretty well for me to tell when the dragging was fixed. There's a town about a 15-minute drive from here on a very little-traveled road, so I can cruise the full 15 minutes without touching the brake. Arriving in town, there's a parking lot big enough that I can turn right off the road into it and roll to a stop, again all without touching the brake (shifting into B first to slow down, and finally R below about 7 mph, which isn't any problem for a Prius, to slow the rest of the way to stop). The idea is to come to a stop after 15 solid minutes of driving but with no use of the brake, then get out and stick a hand through the wheel spokes to feel each brake rotor.

Before I did any work, my left front rotor would be somewhat warm and the right front would be uncomfortable-to-touch hot. Same test after changing the right front caliper, left front still warm, right front stone cold. Encouraging result. So I went ahead and did the left front too, and now both rotors are not at all warm to the touch when I run that test. That, clearly, is what the baseline should be for the brakes in good condition.

The key to the test is to have a safe place to make that final stop without any use of the brakes. If you end up having to use them at the last minute, the rotors will be hot from that, and not tell you anything about whether the brakes were dragging before.

I only mention brakes because they were my own most recent issue. The main point is, even in a Prius, don't get fooled into only thinking about fancy Prius stuff ... all the usual suspects can still kill your mileage the same way they would in a Corolla. How's the tire pressure? Hearing any new rolling noises? If you have a ScanGauge, Torque app or the like, anything changed in your fuel trim reading? Have you ever taken compression or leakdown readings? ... etc.

-Chap

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "The idea is to come to a stop after 15 solid minutes of driving but with no use of the brake, then get out and stick a hand through the wheel spokes to feel each brake rotor."

Excellent advice, but please be very careful touching that rotor :>) If something is dragging, it could be quite hot.

5. WFBowen

WFBowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd go back to square one and re-do the entire process of changing the PCV valve. It sounds like an air line or even some wires might have come off somewhere. As mentioned above, a vacuum leak can be most noticeable at low rpms, so double check any you can find for proper connection, especially around the coil/plug wire you might have removed.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no point to disconnecting your 12v, but you might want to test it.