1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubleshooting center AC vents not working

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tracy ing, Jun 15, 2022.

1. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I broke this out of my thread for my display not working now that we have that fixed, I have a 2008 and the center AC vents are not working, (edit three servos move various things in the ac, 1- fresh recirculate - located on passenger side, 2- hot cold air, this is driver side to right of gas pedal near center of car, and has a lot of linkages white nylon, 3- inner vents on and off, this is above the hot cold and has only one linkage)

I have no code and nothing on techstream, the steering wheel button and ready twice trick revealed no codes on the center display.

Since we have TWO servos not working (edit, only one servo is not working, i failed to move temp in testing and that proved to be the servo with all the linkages and it is working), I am leaning towards a power issue or a controller issue, I think they are controlled by the AC amplifier, which may be in front of the center arm console area.

Right now I am reviewing the ref docs below and will start at POWER to see if any fuse etc is out, I may then lean towards schematics on the amplifier to see if I can pull the plugs and manually energize the servos to prove they fail or work.

https://attachments.priuschat.com/attachment-files/2018/05/146483_AC.pdf

https://cf.linnbenton.edu/eit/auto/ehlersr/upload/752%20Handbook.pdf

#1 tracy ing, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It probably was a good idea to break out a separate thread, but sometimes that also sacrifices a bit of context. In your post here, I am not seeing why you think there are TWO servos not working. Can you detail that step?

3. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I crawled under the driver side and stared up at the two servos and their linkage and had a helper alter the ac and blower to all possible settings, neither of the two servos or linkages moved or stuttered as if stuck and trying etc, the third servo is on the passenger side for fresh recirc, and you can physically see it move the actual louver if you have that blower exposed on the passenger bottom of the car below glove box

I have seen another post that had some ac issues and it was after a jump start, it took out some functions in the ac amplifier located under the dash center on the floor, it controls those servos.

I also found that, if you have no helper, you can press the steering wheel left ac button and the steering wheel right recirc button, hold both of them, press power twice, and that brings up the center screen where i had a code 21 43 21 43 repeated over and over, and if you press the recirc button again it then goes into a test loop that MAY allow you to crawl under and look up without a helper as it scrolls through various iterations of ac settings

This is a 2008, I have a 2005, i will try that and see if it is the same and would allow you to replace your helper with this auto test

#3 tracy ing, Jun 15, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  4. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    also, and the reason for making this one thread, from the other thread you pointed out one of the two i say are not working would only work if i changed temp, i did not, so i need to retest and confirm if its one or two servos, if it turns out to be one, for the inner vents, we are back to possible servo failure not ac amplifier, good catch

5. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK NEW RESULTS, after testing correctly, I set to fresh air, no ac compressor, lo temp, floor, crawled under, used steering wheel to move temp up to hot.
    There is one servo with tons of complicated linkages, it move freely and the air got hot.

So the servo above it with one linkage is the one that is not moving

now, how can we test that servo, in place, to see if we can try to get it to move.

I think there is a test for ohms or something in one of the docs i linked, maybe i can start there testing at the ac amplifier plug

6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The 21 code (DTC B1421) only means there wasn't strong sun shining on the dash when you asked.

The 43 code (DTC B1443) means the A/C amplifier does not see the outlet-selection servo's sensed position changing when it tries to drive the servo to move. So it looks like you had the right call about a problem with this servo or linkage; pulling the trouble codes might just have been a faster way to get there.

There are pinouts and suggestions for troubleshooting in the four-ish pages given for the B1443 code in the repair manual.

7. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good deal, I'll check it out, going to add that youtube video here too so people can see where all this stuff is. I dont think you have to tear as much apart as he did though lol

fyi techstream only showed the solar error, and my diag screen when i went into self diag did not match what was shown on the video below, all i saw was flashing icons, later when i repeated it, i saw the 21 43 but thought it was all one code, for the solar, thanks

8. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so i ordered a used servo from ebay 14.99 with free shipping, lol if it works.

9. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First step is replacing cabin air filter... Also known problem is Gen2 Servos not working correctly in the transition from winter to Summer settings and often can be fixed via using them repeatedly until they work normally.

11. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1- cabin filter was removed during all this testing
    2- I have had 3 2005 pri and none of them ever had any of these issues with vents 150 to 300k
    3- i tried the heat em up cool em down and variations to no avail

12. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    HEAT WAVE, WE NEED CENTER VENTS
    And now we have them...
    I'm uploading a video to youtube to show a work around, assuming your servo will still move via electricity, and is out of service due to the ac ecu not knowing its position, which was my case, you can easily energize the servo in minutes with a 12 volt source and move it from floor to inner vents. It will move fully in seconds and you will hear it start to hit its end movement, quickly remove the power at that point.

I'll add the video here once it finishes uploading.

NOTE: IF YOU DO ANYTHING THAT TELLS THIS TO MOVE TO FOOT USING THE AC CONTROLS, IT MAY MOVE, AND SCREW YOU UP LATER, ASSUMING IT CAN START MOVING, SO YOU MAY WANT TO PULL ONE OF THE PINS FROM THE CONNECTOR TO PREVENT THAT

ALSO, IT MAY BE POSSIBLE THAT ONCE YOU MOVE IT, IT MAY ACTUALLY START WORKING AGAIN, DUST ON THE POT ETC. OR.. YOU MAY WANT TO TRY MOVING IT BACK AND FORTH WITH YOUR BATTERY TO TRY TO "CLEAN" THE POT. I DID NOT HAVE TIME TO DO THIS, IT WAS MIDNIGHT LOL

NOTE 2 : DEF IS PROBABLY DEFROST NOT FEET, HOWEVER, WHEN ITS ON DEF IN MINE, MY FEET FREEZE.

#12 tracy ing, Jun 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2022