1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubleshooting potential upcoming combination meter failure ('08 Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mpg_numbers_guy, Jan 20, 2019.

1. mpg_numbers_guy

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Hello PriusChat members,

About 2-ish months ago my mom purchased a 2008 blue Prius base w/ package 5 and 99k miles on it (she's up to 102k+ now I think). Upon the car occasionally not starting we identified a dying 12V battery and replaced it with a new one. We also replaced the key fob battery due to beeping when exiting the vehicle after turning it off.

However, right after replacing the 12v battery, the combination meter has not been working consistently. When the engine is cold, the combination meter will not display, however when the engine has been warmed up, the combination meter works fine. We checked all the 12v connections and everything is tight and works well. Everything works well on the car except the combination meter when the engine is cold, and this only started after replacing the 12V.

She's been getting 44-48 MPG on newer winter tires in 0-30 F degree weather, and I usually get 50+ with mild hypermiling in the same conditions, so nothing's off there.

From my research on here I've read that when the combination meter has intermittent failures it's usually due to the unit failing and needing to be replaced, however the failures are not random but consistently only when the engine is cold. With these temperatures the Prius still takes a while to warm up even with a partial grille block, and not being able to verify speed while driving isn't the best.

I have some familiarity working with my 2006 Honda Insight hybrid, but the Prius is quite a different vehicle. Advice and tips appreciated, thanks in advance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My advice is for you to replace the combination meter. The perceived correlation with the engine being cold is not proof of causality. As you continue to defer the repair, the CM failure duration will increase until one day the meter will fail and it will not be possible to turn off the Prius without disconnecting the 12V battery.

mpg_numbers_guy likes this.