1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

troubleshooting rough start

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by traespear, Aug 12, 2017.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That there is a bad head gasket lol

jerrymildred, bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. NutzAboutBolts

NutzAboutBolts Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    yup. lol Basically :D

jerrymildred and bisco like this.
  3. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone have thoughts on the head gasket sealers? Or the price for an engine swap? I've never considered replacing an engine before.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Does your mechanic know how to test the compression on the Prius? It's not like on a regular car.

Either case, it should be a bad gasket. With 265k miles, it's not surprising either on this generation Prius. We are seeing them go at 150k miles.

If you need a another engine, they are not cheap. Even a crappy high mileage one will run you about $1000 plus labor

NutzAboutBolts likes this.
  5. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We tested the compression of the cylinders like you would on a normal car, by pulling out the spark plugs and testing each. Which from what I gathered on this forum, should work just fine though it is not the standard process for the prius. We did this one at home, and dropped new spark plugs in while they were out.

The oil looked better then, and the cylinders tested well. It started right up with any roughness after we changed them, but it didn't improve all the issues, and there was still a coolant leak. So I took it to a shop monday. Shop found the coolant leak (something on the bottom of the engine, and the reservoir tank as well), and have concluded the head gasket is going after a test (I don't recall what test) that showed there was hydrocarbons in the coolant. It's been spitting codes pretty much daily the week before I got it in, for a variety of things, including misfires on all cylinders. I'm fairly convinced it is in fact the head gasket that's going, especially with how common the issue seems to be to these cars.

With as high of mileage as it is, a lower mileage engine sound like a good idea compared to an almost equal cost just to replace the head gasket. I have no idea what the ballpark cost of an engine swap should be though. Is that $5500 high or low? That is the engine and labor both.

Of course, unless they approve me for financing, I don't have the money for it anyways, so I'm looking at the temp fix of head gasket sealer as an option. I haven't seen many attempts to use something like that on these pages. There's only one other thread that comes up when I do a search for Blue Devil head gasket sealer, and it doesn't mention the results. If I'm looking at engine replacement anyways, it seems a worthwhile attempt, even if I just get another 6 months from it.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    $5500 for another engine? I think you should get another car

NutzAboutBolts and m.wynn like this.
  7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Please check to see if the regular maintenance included:

"EGR valve, pipe, cooler. It gets clogged and you get misfires and blown head gaskets. It's probably not your spark plugs"

This has been found to be a major culprit of the stalling misfire that happens with high mileage Prius'2010.

traespear and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm still unsure if the electric water pump is at fault on these head gasket failures

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I pulled @m.wynn 's water pump at 140 k miles apart, it was still in good shape:

My Prius is down 4 quarts of oil 9000 miles after oil change

I am exposed to mag drive pumps daily at work and they are very reliable (as compared to mechanically driven pumps).

While I think they are more robust, I will still change ours out at 200 k miles as a preventative maintenance item;).

Maybe @Aaron Vitolins can pull his water pump off of the bad engine he has and we'll get a real data point from a failed engine(y).

Aaron Vitolins and JC91006 like this.
  10. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can sure do that!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  11. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    At a guess, I'd say the EGR valve was not part of regular maintenance. I've only had the car for 10k miles, so I was still getting to some of those items. With as clogged as some people have reported those getting, I was definitely planning on looking at that next.

Another car is an option on the table. This one has a lien against it, but if I can make a temp fix work well enough, I was considering trying to trade it in towards something else. However, $5500 to fix this car is still probably the cheapest option, instead of $8k(?) for a new car, plus $3k towards what's owed on this one. My credit sucks though, so whatever option is approved is the one that works. Still looking at a prius anyways, even with these issues they are pretty hardy little cars.

12. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Got it back from the shop today. Decided to go for the Blue Devil head gasket resealer. I expect this to be a temporary fix, but since there were few results of doing so on these forums, I thought I'd put my experiences on here as well. Process was applied at 266,000 miles. Immediate result seems positive, the rough start/misfire seems quieted. Figure it can't hurt if engine replacement is the next step, so whatever more miles I get out of this one are free miles. I drive 100+ miles a day, so it shouldn't take long to get to a fair result. Did an oil change as well, and I get those every 5k, so I'll have them check it out again then.

bisco and Raytheeagle like this.
  13. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    *sigh*

Drove it fine 110 miles last night. No codes.

Drove it this morning, drove fine for an hour+... until it hit 105 degrees out. Got a code, check hybrid engine, engine shut down. Towed home.

Result is not looking good. Going to try driving again tonight, see if it's just overheating in our hellish Phoenix summer sun.

14. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What are the CEL?

15. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just heard back from the mechanics. Code was b2613, with a history of p0301.

They are saying it's the water pump, which they say looks like it's original. Quote of $1120 parts and labor to fix. They say it's unrelated to the previous fix.

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I highly suggest you stop putting money towards the payment of this mechanic's boat. This mechanic is not doing you any favors and you keep digging deeper into your bad situation. Time to stop and think for a moment.

Your car needs a head gasket, which translates into a new engine. So there's no reason to put $1120 in it when the engine needs to be replaced.

17. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    agreed... replace the motor or give up.. let them come repo it .. if your credit sucks already its not going to matter.. or burry it in the dirt and report it stolen

18. traespear

traespear New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If it was just my transportation to work, I'd agree. However, it's paying the bills entirely. $1000 to keep the business going a few more months is worthwhile.

However, it does need a new engine. $1000 to fix it enough to trade it in for $6000 towards something else might be worth it. I kind of have to work with what I have, I'm less concerned about my credit.

Double however, he said the pump itself was something like $250, which is in the realm of DIY.

19. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    @Raytheeagle has a video of removing the water pump, its an easy DIY. Why spend 1120$ for that much when you can put it on a new engine with new water pump? That's one expensive labor for an easy DIY.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  20. NutzAboutBolts

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    how did they figure it was the water pump? usually if its the water pump, there would be a CEL or engine overheating issue. I've seen 2 thread with water pump issues and they threw CEL P216B and P261C which points to the water pump failing...

Here's pdf files on how to remove the water pump, pretty straight forward. Make sure to drain the engine coolant before starting and bleed the engine cooling system afterwards.

Attached Files:

• 1.pdf
      File size:
      487.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.pdf
      File size:
      483.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.pdf
      File size:
      438.1 KB