1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Troubling Nav discovery

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Brianb913, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see most people have responded to the Nav issue, so I'll just tackle the Bluetooth issue.

The info that you are locked out is not correct. When you are moving, you cannot use the touch screen to dial the phone. You still have access to "Dial by name" or Dial by number". So the info is only half correct.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    We're under the 2010 catagory w/ this thread ... but is the op talking about Gen II or III? Seems to me the 2010's touch tracer (I think that's what Toyota calls it) function means voice dialing followed by 'enter' is now displayed up front of the driver ... right? Less issue with the driver looking away than with gen II button layout?

3. Lottamoxie

Lottamoxie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I keep my Garmin in my car (unless I put it in my purse when I'm leaving my car and then it's with me). Either way, I *never* forget my GPS, as my car is it's default location. I have one car, but even if I had 5 vehicles, it would still be cheaper to purchase a Garmin GPS for each vehicle AND another one just to have for walking around/travel than to pay for one integrated GPS in a vehicle (be it Toyota or any other car mfg). I'm all for an integrated GPS in a car--I would love to have one...and if they offered it at a comparable price I would have one. They don't. I simply cannot justify spending 10x the amount on something that isn't (at least) technically superior.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Touch Tracer is independent of the navigation screen. Touch Tracer only duplicates the steering wheel soft buttons onto the speedometer area. The navigation screen is the MFD in lieu of the standard radio.

If you're talking about the MID, that only shows the Energy Monitor, Consumption Scree, Radar Cruise/LKA functions and Past Consumption.

5. RebelScum

RebelScum New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    While I can't argue that studies have reported these results, I would just like to relate my experience.

I have been using bluetooth headsets for the past 5 years. I use it all the time, meaning I rarely ever use my phone without it. Also, I never once had a single accident related to talking on the phone while driving and using bluetooth, and I would talk and drive all the time.

A few weeks ago, my bluetooth headset stopped working, so I stopped using it. It took me a while to get around to buying a new one. Long story short, I rear-ended someone while fumbling with the phone and driving. I am 100% convinced that if I had just had my bluetooth, I would not have had that accident.

Now it is pretty likely that I was so used to using my phone in combination with bluetooth, that not having it was like such a new experience that it forced me to have to pay attention to the phone more. But that's kind of my point. That is what caused me to have the accident, not the talking.

6. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here in our neighborhood in Chicago, version 7.1 has house's tiny little GARAGE on the map! Very impressive. Also has all the national parks roads in Moab and Badlands for last summers trip out west. We like it. $250 for a year old update disk is, however, insulting.

7. Mr. Nelsby

Mr. Nelsby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have had my prius with the toyota nav since 2004. I live in Boston, one of the most confusing and brutal cities when it comes to directions. the ONLY place it has trouble with is the Big Dig, which for those of you who don't know changed routes due to heavy construction on a rediculous basis. Everywhere else it was 100% accurate.

What was this "website" where you found this dissatisfaction?

8. Mr. Nelsby

Mr. Nelsby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Also: they are FAR more difficult to steal.

1 person likes this.
  9. Brianb913

Brianb913 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well it seems the general attitude is that portable navs are the best but toyota's is better than nothing. and since i'm not going to have one if it's not built in i suppose i'll wait and see if i have the money for the solar roof package otherwise i'll just live without it.

10. HybridHype

HybridHype Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go check out the newly released Venza, the Prius will share the same Gen 6 nav system. It has much improved voice recognition for cellphone and nav features. It also provides a menu of voice commands when you press the VR button to help guide you through the system so you achive the desired result.

Bluetooth cell phone address book pairing is improved to allow whole phonebook transfer and the system has streaming bluetooth audio.

BTW, For older nav systems, before keying in an address, select the city and it will narrow down the choices. This may help select the correct East Main or E. Main or E Main or one of the other many choices.

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Each additional distraction ups the odds of an accident. Fumbling with the phone was an additional distraction, and one for which you are not familiar. If we asked you to recite the words to The Star Spangled Banner at the same time, that word make things worse. It really doesn't matter what you are doing, it only matters that it takes your attention away from driving.

This next comment isn't directed specifically at you, but as a group, we all need to hang up and drive. Likewise with eating, texting, reading, watching movies, applying makeup, brushing hair, and all of the other stupid things people do while driving.

Tom

12. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here here...

I don't have blue tooth... Don't have a hands free....

Don't pick up the phone when it rings when I'm driving unless my wife is next to me.... and I hand the phone to her.

If I need to make a call..... I pull over....

Never been in an accident.

Seems simple to me.

13. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I talk using bluetooth. Before that, I talked for a year holding the phone, and driving a manual. It made for some interesting situations, but honestly it depends on the capabilities of the driver. I could handle it because I was able to prioritize driving, and I would make the phone conversation my secondary objective. I know people who can talk and drive, and I know people who *think* they can talk and drive. All I can say is that I can't wait for the bluetooth, cause I know on my older Prius it worked really well! I support laws requiring hands free talk, but would never support no talking at all. I've been really close to a destination tired, and called up people via bluetooth. It was like they were sitting there with me, so the engaging conversation kept me awake and alert.

14. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The voice commands are night and day better than previous Gens, so this makes the limited use of nav, bluetooth, etc not a big deal imho.