1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Truck Drivers are buttholes.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by That_Prius_Car, Mar 1, 2010.

1. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Physics does not care who has the legal right of way.

Jerks are jerks and there is no shortage of them. :madgrin:

2. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It was a Ford F-150

3. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We easily passed 113 actually.
    It would do 116 for a second then go back down to 115.

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Any of you aware that if you are pulled over for doing 95+ you can get free lodging for the night, but the amenities suck? ;)

5. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    When you report him for doing 110 MPH, be sure to tell them how you know and then sign the police report.

6. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, now this thread makes sense.
    I find that big-rig and commmercial drivers are on average better drivers than amateur folks like me, and I think the accident statistics bear that out. Not surprising since they drive professionally and can lose their jobs pretty easily with tickets or accidents. (The one large-truck class exception is rental trucks, which I try to stay away from because they are driven by non-truck-drivers like me.)

Unfortunately, unless there was a business name on the side of the F-150, this means that the most common piece of advice you've gotten--report them to their employer--won't work.

I would, however, go with the second most common piece of advice you've gotten--at least if you read between the lines. If you get stuck in a game like this, try as hard as you can to get out of it--let the idiots get by you.

7. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is clear to me that the OP needs to toggle that little
    "mph / kph" button on the dash.
    Misbehaving truckers should be called in. A fast-booting camera
    with image-stabilization is a good way to collect all the data
    you need in one shot; if the truck company's number isn't on
    the trailer then the name can likely be looked up on the net
    and a number obtained that way, and ask for the safety managers
    or dispatch people. They *want* to hear reports of this sort,
    because it's the only way they know what's going on out there.
    My roadtrip pages are *full* of these episodes, both good and bad.
    _H*

8. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys, let's take a huge step back and look at this situation...

No sane person would drive that fast unless it was on a super highway. Therefore, it appears that there are a lot of other automobiles (other than Toyotas) with stuck accelerators!!!

Keith

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    now it makes more sense ... he was going 70-72mph.
    :p

10. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a motto on our roads, drive friendly. On two lane highways people often pull aside to let people pass. Friends from the east coast are sometimes entertained that when someone cuts you off here they often wave. Most truckers are good people, some aren't, sometimes everyone has a bad day. I don't want a 62mph speed limit for truckers, that would make the road less safe. We do have some stretches that have different truck speed limits and night speed limits, but these are at least 4 lane highways.

Good luck on the road. There are lots of butholes out there and many more nice people.

11. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When you drive like an a$$, over 100MPH, keep it out of my part of West Virginia.

12. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    Some truck drivers are. So are some Prius drivers.

By the way, I would hardly call a person driving a pickup a truck driver.

13. eldiee

eldiee Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This thread was so funny I laughed the whole time!

14. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is a classic example of "escalation". One car tries to pass, the other car speeds up to prevent it (pickup truck drivers have penis inferiority issues), car #1 tries harder to pass (honor must be served), car #2 prevents again, etc, etc...

It takes two to tango.

And I second the movie recommendation: "Duel" (the original from the 70's, not the remake) is a really interesting exploration of this exact situation. It should make you think twice about repeating the experience.

"Changing Lanes" is another examination of escalation and how you can't fight someone without getting hurt yourself. (Ben Affleck in the only role he ever played well: an arrogant douchebag - right in his wheelhouse)

15. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Then there's the classic example of escalation leading to a lot of suffering and pain for everyone involved:
    Vietnam

As Kenny Rodgers famously said: "You got to know when to walk away, know when to run"

16. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a black ford f150. Don't be mad at that_prius_car... His dad is a truck driver, so he's all in for truck drivers, :)

This guy was just a weird butthole most likely compensating for something very small.

It just scared me because he almost hurt my car, and my baby. :)

My Prius seems to drive 116, then drops back down to 115mph. It was a straight long stretch, with few cars and a cleared road. This truck,... I never expected them to do this. It wasn't some sort of passing contest or anything like that.

Thanks for reading prius brotherin

17. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also thought it would be good to add, that we just wanted to see what the car could do, because I just passed 10k miles and only recently felt comfortable pushing the car to it's limits. (It's broken in.)

When I realized what the truck was doing, I immediately went into safe driving mode, and tried to protect myself, my passengers, and my car.

18. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Troll? Have any of you even driven your car at max speed? I'm sorry but I like to enjoy my cars. I have driven MUCH faster on the autobahn, and the statistics for wrecks on there are much less. You just have to be a good driver.

However, as I recently was reminded... Americans, possibly West Virginians in particular aren't the best drivers, and so that makes it a very dangerous situation for those that are.

I won't and don't commonly drive that fast. It was a first, and only thing to try it out.

Would someone else confirm that the Prius can go that fast? It makes me mad when non-prius drivers act like it's a slow-polk car but when prius drivers start doing it... it really really makes me mad. This car can go 115 steady, limited only by the computer.

19. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey if you don't push your car, how will you know what it will do?

I agree with you on that specific driver. I only commented when I thought that_prius_car was saying he thought everyone in a truck or a f150 drives like that.

Enjoy the car

20. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    absolutely dude. :) It was just one bad egg. That_Prius_Car (also named austin, lol) wanted to vent on here. I wish I would have known first, I would have warned him. It's not everyone's fault on here, it's what an internet forum is for. People respond to your post and put their own opinions into it. (understandably.)

When I have Austin in the car, or say my nephews, I get extremely protective and it pains me to see people drive like idiots. It wasn't the absolute safest thing for me to do at that time, and I understand people's reaction to me doing it.

Also, my dad was a trucker, and he actually has a large truck. I drive it occasionally when I need one. It's not fair to group them all into one category. It's just something one does when they get ticked off in the heat of the moment. :)

In our defense, I will say he hasn't ridden in a prius much lately, and in west virginia it is particularly annoying. I don't get it as much in Illinois, but I can be driving 80 miles an hour and pass a car, and they will pass me afterwards just because they saw I was a prius. It's just really odd behavior and it most likely bothered him.

-Brad