1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Truck is gone (sad) Prius in Driveway...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mastergunnera8, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks for the pix Tracy. Way cool.

One question.....

What are ya gonna do in the winter? Use it? Store it?

Wisconsin winters can be really mean and nasty.

2. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 15 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]272001[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to get hard and soft doors for my Gem. The soft doors I will have on in the summertime. They will be rollback doors. They will help if I get caught in the rain.

Then I will install hard doors for the wintertime. My truck does have a heater/defroster.

I mean I won't be able to drive it everyday in winter but on the days were there's not much snow. We have been having pretty mild winters here in Green Bay (knock on wood). I thnk I had to have someone plow my parking lot I think 3 times last year.

There are people in NY and MI I have talked to that drive all year. They said they even put snow tires on their Gems for winter.

So you WANT one now? :p LOL

3. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tracysbeans @ Jun 14 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]271162[/snapback]</div>
    Congrats Tracy !

I don't know anything about the GEM truck. I'll have to google it later. I have high hopes of putting in a PV array on my roof this year, and then trading/upgrading the Prius to plug-in arouind 2009.

Clean electric is **wonderful**

4. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 16 2006, 08:39 AM) [snapback]272166[/snapback]</div>

Thanks! The Gems aren't for everyone because of the speed but I'm ok with it. At least I don't have to worry about speeding tickets. There are some Gem owners who have souped their Gems up to go faster even though it's illegal to do that.

Now the range is only 30-40 BUT I have been able to work with that because I can drive it in the morning on some errands and then come home and plug it back in and later on I can drive it more. So I have been pleasantly suprised that there's a way to be able to drive it multiple times in a day if I need to. I didn't know at first I could do that. That's a BIG plus in my book for the Gem. Today I went to the store and the bank and later I will run to Kmart for some FAR pocket t-shirts!

5. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes yes yes. I want one now too. hehe

But my wife will think I am cwazy. :)

So have you figured out what your cost of driving is yet? Is it actually a couple pennies per mile?

I gotta hand it to ya Tracy. You are a true energy pioneer!!

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How much will it raise your utility bill to charge it all the time?

7. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 16 2006, 11:24 AM) [snapback]272255[/snapback]</div>

Come on can't you tell her you need a Gem EL cause you have to haul some stuff? I know our Prius can fit alot in the backend but I'm hauling mowers and stuff and I rather not haul those in my Prius. (even though I had no choice before I got my truck)

Yes, I figured out how much it cost. Just right under two pennies per mile. $0.018 I think it came to. BUT I could set up a optional plan with my electric company to get it down to one penny per mile. I just don't think that would work for me because I use to much electricty during the daytime hours to go to a cheaper nightime plan.

Plus my business and residence are together and they share the same electrical system. My business pays for 79% of the overall electric bill and I pay 21%. So I even pay less than two pennies actually. ;) I did really get the Gem to use mainly for my business and that's why I got the truck version. I'm sure I will use it for other things to but I got it for mainly for hauling stuff from my other warehouse. (It can take a load up to 1,000 pounds but all my business stuff is light)

Thanks for the compliements. I just have a pasions for electric vehicles. I first came across one when I went to Las Vegas about 4 years ago. My favorite thing about them is how quiet they are. Then I got the Prius and when I went into Stealth mode I was in heaven. I wanted to STAY in electric with my Prius but could only do that at drive thrus and such.

Then I came across our famous Darell the EV guy and he gave me a boatload of info on EVs. I had though about buying his Ranger but I was worried about there not being service for them around in my area. I really someday want to get a true EV truck. For now I will just will have my slower Gem truck. I figure at least I have something for now until someone gets off their nice person and gets me an EV truck.

My local newspaper already did an article about Gems and me going to the City Council to get the legal her to drive. I have been thrust into a who Political arena with my Gem because the way my Governor setup the bill I have to go to EACH city in WI I want to drive in. (Which is about 6!)

The newspaper told me they want to do a follow up story on my and my Gem. I told them better yet I could line up my Fleet of energy savings vehicles. (My Prius, Gem, and Moped)

I feel like a celebrity driving around in my Gem. EVERYONE and their brother wants to know ALL about my Gem. Crazy stuff. My daughters friend said to her your mom sure likes to buy weird stuff. I was like :eek: you mean COOL stuff right! B)

8. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Jun 16 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]272256[/snapback]</div>
    For me about 2 pennies a miles. Even though I keep it plugged in all the time when I'm not driving it when the charge gets to 100% it shuts off. So that way I not overcharing and over paying for excess electricty.

You want one now :p

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately where I live it would not work, everything is so far away. Plus I have a 25 mile commute, so I would never be able to use it for anything other than going to the grocery store- so not worth the extra thousands that it costs. I would love to see a Gem go where I take my truck LOL

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Jun 16 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]272271[/snapback]</div>

Well if you could Plug In at where you commute to it might work. I know the Gems aren't for everyone. The are best for doing as your saying going to the grocery store, bank etc.

I heard some guy souped up his Gem and he takes it to the drag races. I also saw a gem that someone added a lift kit to it and put on some BIG tires. It looked like a monster Gem.

I'm actually headed over to Toys For Trucks to see about getting some neon lights added to my Gem. I just had to wait until today to hear back from my county's lawyer to get the permission extended to drive on their county roads. Got it today and headed to Toys For Trucks to see what I can do to my truck. I also have to stop by Batteries Plus cause they want to check out my new wheels! B)

11. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Going 25 mph for 25 miles would take way too long to get to work, I work in the mountains.

12. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(remaxmanager @ Jun 16 2006, 12:18 PM) [snapback]272282[/snapback]</div>

Oh ok yeah and the hills would even make it worse. Most hills I drop to about 20-22mph.

Oh well at least you got the Prius!

13. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tracy, I tried to call you on your cell but had to leave a message.

Where do you get service if something goes wrong?
    How did you get it back home if you need to get it approved to drive in every city?
    What options did you get with it.
    Does it drive like a car?
    Does it feel like your in a car?
    Does it have good visibility?
    Do you really drive 30 miles at a stretch?
    How long does it take to charge up again?
    How much room is there inside?
    Is it like you are in a sub-compact car?

So many questions, so little time. :)

I wish I knew about this car before we leased our new Camry for the wife. All she does is drive to work (1 mile away) and get groceries. We use the Prius for everything else that requires any amount of distance. Oh well, maybe after the lease is up they will have an all electric car for my wife that is a bit more substantial than this one. My guess is she will say "you are kidding, right?" But the cost difference between the car she just got and the one you just got is huge.

14. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 16 2006, 12:41 PM) [snapback]272297[/snapback]</div>
    [/b]

BINGO!!!! The cost was EXACTLY way I chose to get this. I have my Prius to drive when I need to go on the highways. I ONLY pay $214 a YEAR for insurance for my Gem truck so this type of vehicle was PERFECT for me! NO matinence. NO oil changes etc etc etc! I didn't really want to pay to have a truck, the insurance for the truck, and then the maintence when I would only use it occasionally to haul something for my business. (I already did that mistake with my RV by buying it for $20,000 for my business and then not using it and it's now sitting in my driveway--Things changed with my business and I no longer need to travel at all) I also don't have to license my Gem in WI so I save on the license plate cost too! (Some states you do have to license them though)

You can get Gems off ebay for a few thousand dollars. Yeah you might have to replace the batteries BUT that would still be about half of what the dealers charge with buying replacement batteries and shipping to get it. (an no taxes if bought on ebay for me since I don't have to license my Gem here) I actually should have bought a used Gem truck but at the time I was looking on ebay I couldn't find the truck version. And when I want something I want it NOW! :rolleyes: Unlike you I don't have a sidekick to complain about it. ;) I just purchase purchase purchase! B)

GOT ANYMORE QUESTIONS FOR ME? :p

The ONLY problem though is I'm finding now that I got my truck my Prius is just sitting around. :unsure: (I parked my Prius next to my RV so it would have company <_< ) Not sure yet what I'm going to do with my moped. I'm keeping it for now so it can be included in the pic for the local newspaper!

15. Three60guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks Tracy for the quick reply. Way cool information.

And lo and behold......guess who just gave me a phone call?

I had put my name on the GEM website and it only took Ron Wheeler from Portage an hour to give me a phone call. We chatted for at least a half hour. He is sending me big catalog and stuff because I told him I would share it with the gang at the Milwaukee Hybrid Group meetings. Had a very informative chat with him. Easy to talk to as well. He tried to tell me about the ticket you got but I told him I already knew about it from your posts here on PriusChat. He thought that was so kewl that I knew that. hehe

Enjoy your truck Tracy. You are on the cutting edge of how all of us should start thinking.

Thinking EV is FUN

Cheers

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 16 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]272364[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I learned from the BEST! Mr EV Man Darell stuffed my brain when I asked him ALL about his Evs. I now consider myself Miss EV girl Darell Jr. :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Three60guy @ Jun 16 2006, 02:51 PM) [snapback]272364[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah that fricken cop was a BIG meanie. :angry: My Prius navigation got me thrown off and I started acting blond. :blink: I hated the drive to Portage. I never been on a drive that took SOOO many twist and turns. If it wasn't for my navigation I would have been lost with a ticket! <_<

17. mastergunnera8

mastergunnera8 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jun 13 2006, 10:53 PM) [snapback]270902[/snapback]</div>
    M1A1 / M1A2 Main Battle Tank...lots of great tech to play with...and a blast to shoot...now those are gas hogs...but nobody tailgates you either...