1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

True Cost to own - more than just fuel

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mudmanrv, Feb 28, 2012.

1. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple thoughts - first, I see you're good with numbers - in your situation, you probably have to be. Good job on that. But I'm not sure why you think your mortgage payment would double? $1600/month is pretty high for the house you have, either you didn't qualify for a good rate, rates were higher when you bought the house and you never refinanced, or you went for a short-term loan. I would think, and I haven't run the numbers, but for that price you should be able to get a loan for about $120K at 30 years at 5% fixed? There's calculators out there that will do this for you, but I bet you won't spend as much as you think.

Having a couple credit cards actually boosts your credit rating. Just do like my wife and I and always pay in full every month - having available, unused credit on a small number of cards shows that you can handle credit, gives you a good credit score (ours are about 800) and that gives you the good low rates for the big purchases - mortgage and car. We just don't think of credit cards as paying with money we don't have, but as a way to bundle the purchases into a month-end payment. One advantage of CC over debit cards is that if the debit card is compromised, a thief can pull money directly out of your bank statement, then you bounce checks, etc. With a credit card, there's that buffer where you can resolve the issue with the company before you get hit with any fees.

You want to make sure the area you're moving to has other job options in the area, or you might find yourself in the same situation with a long commute a couple years from now. I'd rather not live in the Chicago area, but it's great for jobs, definitely not a 1-company town.

I agree with doing the house purchase first, then the car purchase when you know the rest of your finances a little better. Since the van handles the family trips, I'm not sure if you really need a 2nd vehicle that tows, but you might want to consider a used Ford Explorer Hybrid as well. That's at least rated for 1000 pounds towing (or better, I don't remember). I doubt you'll see many, if any, Prius v at auctions in the near future, they're just too new and not out in big numbers yet.

And finally - why the heck would an 11-year-old need a baby-sitter? They can take care of themselves at that age. Definitely by age 12. Just keep your cell-phone handy in case something big happens, but the two oldest kids should already know what to do for most emergencies anyway.

2. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would not assume that 2013 and 2014 will be as good as 2012. I want to make sure I will be ready for the bump...

3. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP is quite right used car values are high now, so high that for me they aren't attractive and it's a major reason my last car purchase was new, after spending many years preaching the benefits of buying used late-model. It really just doesn't make a lot of sense now. I regularly go to my local toyota and nissan dealership sites, hit up the "weekly ad" and see the deals they are offering on some cars. If I had to buy another car now, even if money was tight, I'd lease a new one. There are a ton of cars now available at $200/month new with just the basic closing fees due at signing. No maintenance on those, nothing to worry about. Contrast, $200/month on a 5 year note on a used car translates to around $10,000 car.

1 person likes this.
  4. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I don't think you missed anything, but I'll offer another bit of data.

From the thoughts, it comes down, almost to the exact amount, of do you want to get a new depreciating debt on a new car, or do you want to get a new potentially appreciating debt on a new (to you at least) house. Thankfully it seems you have the first part of the equation correct. :)

But, it seems you want to add a second part. Both. I just can't see any reason for it. Keep the cars longer than 5 years. If the blazer is in OK shape, which I inferred wasn't the case, you can either keep it or sell it in the higher used car market, and use the sale price with your dad at the auto auction to get probably a better vehicle with higher mpg. Will it be a regular Prius? That's the gamble.

If your wife goes back to work to start paying for Both, in the long run, with taxes, child care, and more driving for her, what will she really be making? Will it even come out higher than minimum wage after you pay for child care for three children? And you're right, I would NEVER leave a 7-month-old child with anybody. The money is quickly gone, your child is with you always. Thankfully it seems you and your wife have a good focus. A long-range plan might be to wait until the child is in preschool, then start thinking about going back to work part-time. After several years of living even more frugally than you are now, it will be much easier to be saving for any unknown emergency expenses.

Ultimately, I see it as freedom to choose vs. being indebted to a new car, even a new very high mpg car.

1 person likes this.
  5. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Not sure where you got 1600/mth - my mortgage is only 411, and we pay 450 ...a month. my house was only 79k when we bought it - and last i refinanced was in the low 50's. the 1600 you may be referring to is sqaure footage of a house. we currently have about 1200-1300 and it's just too small, especially with it being an old home with no closet space. so to buy a house in the 110-130 range , I'm looking at minimum 600-800/mth payment due to taxes, insurance, and possibly pmi insurance. -- depending on the equity we have left after selling our current home. so 450 - 800 nearly doubly house payment.

I don't want to tow with a prius - let me be clear on that. they aren't even rated to. I was planning on keeping the blzer for that if needed - but it's only rated for 5k lbs, and even then it struggles with 3500 (our current pop up) it's got the wrong differential ratio 3.49 as opposed to 3.73 and it has soft springs for a nice ride, not carrying weight on the bumper. I have to use a single weight bar hitch for our popup - granted it has a 400lb tounge load.

without credit cards - my score was over 760 when i refi'd last year. The visa "check" cards we have let us book hotels or anything that a credit card would do - the only difference is the spending limit - and honestly - i don't want to be able to spend more than I have - that's the current problem with this country - we don't have the money but we'll spend it anyway... what's the debt now 14trillion and rising? sorry got off on politics there... whoa... our bank is pretty good about theft charging. I had an instance one time - where my card number was taken from a website that I had ordered a projector bulb for our tv from... anyway... they called right away asked me about a couple "unusual" charges... I said they weren't me - they said we didn't think so - deactivated the card and sent me new ones.

6. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Sub...
    I think you're starting to figure me out. scary...lol.

Right now - our plan is - get the house ready and put on the market in april. it should be a good seller - as it is both affordable, and in decent shape. the drawbacks are - it's in a one stop light town, and there are a lot of rentals around. however, it is close to the interstate and 5 minutes away from the next town with a wal-mart and all the fast food amentities. 20 minutes from the closest mall, etc.

At this point -it looks like the house will come before the car/truck/transportation.

Originally, I was undecided on what car to buy - as I would need a truck to haul a camper (travel trailer - which we don't own yet - that was a 5yr plan) ... however, the fuel would kill me as a daily driver of 100miles per day at 15-18mpg ... Our van is adequate and can tow my atv, but not our camper -- and recent year or two, haven't been able to get out and ride anyway so towing is almost a mute point as well.

murphy's law states that if i don't buy a car and put the house on the market - the house won't sell or will take forever. and conversely, if i buy a car and put the house on the market, the house will sell quick, and then I wouldn't have really needed a fuel sipper to begin with. but that's murphy's law for you...

If I do anything in terms of a car now or soon - it will likely be a used prius at auction 2010 or newer to get a gen 3, to use as a commuter - or since we're anticipating the move - would be some sort of SUV like the new traverse or something of that nature. maybe a crew cab truck - but I can't justify the used price with the market right now. and I only say that, because of previous talks on family - camping, towing, etc. and with living closer - mileage on a daily basis wouldn't be an issue.

7. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yea, too many variables right now to give you a good answer. Even though I am only a 10 mile commute for myself, I went with the Prius v to lessen the bite of the pump as prices go up and simply because my poor old Senta is going to be more of a hole than an investment with things slowly breaking down and not having a mechanic in the family. Car did a lot for me, but the Prius v is good for what I want and allows me to be versatile as an IT type person with the car out of the major IT guys in my location.

8. firecracker_rc

firecracker_rc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree, the used market rates seem to be inflated these days. I never did look into what's driving that, I'm curious though...:rolleyes: It seems that prices would be lower with a slow economy. :/ When I was shopping last year, the *deals* on used car pricing looked as though prices were commensurate with new car pricing broken down by mileage or year. Idk, maybe that's how it has always been(?), but it didn't make sense to me to buy a car at the same basic annual rate (if you will), but with a shorter useful life, without knowing [ultimately] where the car has been/put through, and will have missed out on the prime years of the car when it is virtually trouble-free and in mint condition.

I recommended a used anyway, because in the immediate, the "deals" out there are still less cash out-of-pocket and you seemed more strapped for cash and as though you were new at your current job (at least I got that impression). It's obviously best to purchase with the future in mind and pay the least out-of-pocket over the life of the car, but this seemed like a case where it was necessary to make the decision based on current cash-flow and the immediate situation in order to buy time and stabilize.

9. firecracker_rc

firecracker_rc New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did the math on a reg Prius lease. Here, the special is $279/mo plus $2k down. This adds almost $18k to the price I paid for my car.

10. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did think of a lease as an option. What kept me from persuing it was two factors. One, when my wife needs to replace her vehicle in 5-7 years, we would then have 2 payments, as I would have to turn-in or purchase the lease vehicle. 2 - if I intended to buy the lease vehicle after - then I more or less, paid to "rent" the car for 3 years, and now buy it - it would actually cost me more in the long run. granted payments would be lower - but I'd be paying 7-8 years total lease and loan as opposed to just a 5 year loan, whatever the case is.

11. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You are right, leasing is always more expensive than buying. Don't go that route if you want to cut cost.

I think you don't want to keep a truck just for occasional towing needs. You can hire someone who has a truck to tow for you twice a year, financed by the money you save on gas everyday.

12. edawg

edawg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    #1 priority is will your family be happier moving. Not you due to your commute, but your family.

If so, then #2 priority is finding some way, some how to scrape some more $ together for the home downpayment. Can she work a day a weekend somewhere while you cover for her? Can you work another part-time gig somewhere? Do this with a specific time and savings # in mind till you have it, then quit once you meet the goal. Yes, rates and house prices may go up, but your mission is to build equity and to have a cash cushion before you move. Else, being house poor sucks.

#3, IF a used Prius or better yet Civic can pay for itself in gas savings per month with no out of pocket, do it. 200K on a Blazer is enough. Your safety and being the bread winner are too important to risk something major happening on a long commute.

1 person likes this.
  13. mudmanrv

mudmanrv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Edawg - good point. Sorry I hadn't replied sooner... been really busy at work.
    Here's what I'm leaning toward at the moment...as this may sove both problems - but I'm still debating on a car.

Since dear ol' dad works at an auto auction - i'm tempted to have him keep an eye out for a used 2010 at least prius gen 3. this would cut my fuel in half and being an auction pricing - i should be able to get for 12-15k. maybe? that would offset the small loan I would need - but it gets me lower mile vehicle as edawg pointed out - and will save me money into the future with fuel rising. now - in regards to the fam.... what's important here is more family time. I have 3 young ones that are 11, 7 and 7 months. i leave just as they are getting up in the morning - and here lately - i'm getting home after the baby is asleep for the night. just not good. so, i can gain 2 hours a day by moving. schools are comparable - costs will be slightly more - only because we need more sq. footage then what we have now. the problem is - selling the current home in this market. hopefully we can relatively quickliy, as it is in good shape and affordable. that's been my dilemma with a car - because if i get one, and the payment - then murphy's law will sell the house quickly so i have two new payments... where if i don't buy - then murphy's law will sell the house very slowly- and i'll be spending any extra money on fuel as i drive the old car... most importantly, i need to move. that gets me closer where milage isn't a concern and i get more time at home - hopefully.

the question then becomes, once we are moved - what vehicle to get. as a prius won't be so much needed. but a more family oriented vehicle will be important - suv or maybe a truck to haul a camper or something ... *sigh* life and all it's choices....

thanks for the input everyone.