1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

True or False: Prius = Left Lane Hugger

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PoPoPlatter, Aug 22, 2015.

?
  1. True

2.6%
  2. False

65.4%
  3. Most of the Time

6.4%
  4. Some of the Time

10.3%
  5. Now that you brought it up, I just realized I unintentionally do...

1.3%
  6. I don't, however, I have witnessed other Prius Drivers hug the left lane

14.1%
  1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I start stressing when I have a left turn: changing into left lane later than I'd like, to appease the Autobahn wannabees. My fears are usually overblown, but not always. Occasionally a territorial nutter will freak out.

bisco likes this.
  2. co_prius_3

co_prius_3 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In Colorado, it's against the law on 65MPH or faster roads. The law allows for situations where there's no room to get over.

"A person shall not drive a motor vehicle in the passing lane of a highway if the speed limit is sixty-five miles per hour or more unless such person is passing other motor vehicles that are in a nonpassing lane or turning left, or unless the volume of traffic does not permit the motor vehicle to safely merge into a nonpassing lane.”

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hate 95 to and from florida, with the left lane exits, feels like i'm taking my life in my hands. entrances even worse, when you're trying to get up to speed.:eek:

4. Philip1000rr

Philip1000rr New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    KC, post: 2229050, member: 54245"]Giving credit to everyone above, they could be a militant environmentalist, cheapskate, rude jerk, passive aggressive (aggressive drivers are only half of the problem), oblivious and unaware of other vehicles, selfish and uncaring narcissist, rigid and inflexible stickler about obeying the law, judgmental self-appointed traffic cop, etc. Regardless of their motivation, it's exactly this kind of bad behavior that gives other Prius drivers a bad name. They are painting a big target on the back of all Prius drivers. Cut it out! Stop it![/QUOTE]
    This happens all the time in northern California.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    shoot, and i was thinking of moving there.:mad:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This happens all the time all over the world. The only place I haven't seen this is in the UK and that is because they drive on the wrong side of the street :p and the left lane is the slow lane.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    #147 Mendel Leisk, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Why is the mix strange? That's how most high HOV lanes are done in my neck of the woods. The story makes it sound like if the BMW hadn't struck the minivan, the Echo would've. What's interesting is if that if this was a highway, 90-100 kph would be going too slowly down here for HOV where it's 65 mph or 108 kph

9. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Contrary to the focus of this thread, I'm a RIGHT lane hugger, for the most part.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing particularly interesting there, some sections of the Transcanada Highway are posted 80 kph (50 mph) due to local conditions. That is no different than portions of I-5 through Portland, and also going into Vancouver (BC, under the older Highway 99 label, but still the same road).

11. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in south Florida (formerly a NYer). If you want to see crazy driving, you've come to the right place. Interstate 95 has four and five lanes and sometimes more in certain areas. There are even two express lanes separated by flexible rubber poles every few feet (they are about 3.5 or 4 feet high). These poles are there to prevent crossovers. Guess what? The idiots drive over them to either exit or enter!! Then you have a mixture of tourists, old farts, local kids who all drive at different speeds. As far as left lane huggers are concerned, there are always the idiots that just don't get it. I do notice that Prius drivers usually go the speed limit and don't drive aggressively. As for me, I try to go with the flow where the majority is going 5-10 over the posted limit.

12. rosipov

rosipov New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tend to hog the left lane, but I do go (often significantly) faster than the right lane traffic.

13. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I drive frequently on left lane, typically as fast as traffic (around 75mph) and cops allow, if any car approaching, take right lane and let him go. Anything wrong with that?

14. daddyd302

daddyd302 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I used to drive on the right side all the time on my old 2012 Prius C. My brother decided to buy a 2014 Volt and I took over the 2014 Prius. I'm mostly driving on the left side now.... The Prius is just so much more responsive then the C.

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I try to drive in the right lane behind the slowest traffic. But sometimes there is no traffic and I'm at the posted speed limit and a tailgater comes up. Then I shift to the left lane so they can speed up and pass me on the right. Soon as they are past, I'm back in the right lane. If I see an upgrade coming up, I'll hold off until reaching the bottom of the upgrade . . . karma.

Bob Wilson

16. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Most Prii pass me doing about 5-10 mile per hour faster than I am while I'm poking along in the slow lane maybe 2 miles under the limit on interstate-quality divided highways. I'm generally in no hurry. Having said that I'm very sensitive to the wants of others, always clearing a path for them by altering my behavior to facilitate theirs ... good or bad ... on merges or when someone gets trapped I''ll gladly give them an out. . At a stop light, I'd say I'm first off the line 80% of the time, not racing, just not holding back.

17. VovCA

VovCA Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think 2-3 years ago in SFBA, there were plenty of Gen3 exercising best ever mpg on left lane. Now I think nothing special compare to other cars. If many cars on right lane, I just keep using left one and passing them. If right getting wide open, I go there. If someone approaching me at left lane, I go to right lane. I don't use ECO, I like P&G. I never liked cruise control, it makes me a bit disengaged from driving. As it goes above 70 mph, I'm not really in gas saving mode, and still around 50+. As traffic in SFBA is getting worst and worst, I'm getting more mpg.