1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trump vs CARB / Freezing CAFE standards

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by CamryDriver, Sep 25, 2019.

1. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    wp-USAT-allthemoms-front1-20427-smog.jpg

I'm old enough to remember what the air near large cities looked like before pollution regulations were enacted and it wasn't pretty. The yellow brown smog could be seen for many miles while approaching a large city.

California in particular has no shortage of people so it makes perfect sense to me that they would need a higher standard for air quality than places with smaller populations. Los Angeles is home to more people than Wyoming, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Idaho combined. With so many people in such a relatively small space LA residents obviously need to be more concerned with air pollution than do people living in sparsely populated areas.

All states should adhere to the Federal standard at a minimum but if some states want or need to do better they should certainly be allowed to IMHO.

I'm completely against CAFE standards being relaxed or frozen. Toyota already builds cars that meet the 2025 standards today. My Camry Hybrid is a perfect example. The Camry is awesome! It has plenty of power and yet still gets 52 MPG EPA combined. The car is not torture to drive, it is not some buzzy econobox, it is quite simply the nicest car our family has ever owned. Anyway there is no technical reason for vehicles not to be able to meet the standards, especially with 6 years lead time.

davecook89t and john1701a like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and yet, toyota didn't sign the pact with cali

noonm likes this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Selling non-hybrids is probably more profitable for them, but if companies are allowed by governments to focus on nothing but their short-term profits, the Commons will continue to degrade.

Trollbait likes this.
  4. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking that ignoring development costs a hybrid (less the traction battery) might cost less to produce than a non-hybrid because you don't need a starter or alternator and the transmission is mechanically very simple, just a few gears. Mechanically a HSD powered vehicle is a simpler vehicle. There is the extra cost of the big battery in a hybrid but the I really think the base vehicle might be cheaper, canceling some of the cost of the traction battery.

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I know what the "rules" are...............
    But how can you have this discussion without saying something like:
    This is just further evidence that Trump is MORON and has no business being the President.

I don't find that particularly disconcerting because it can be fixed, if not with the next election then when his second term expires.
    I DO find it more than a little disconcerting that about 35% of the general public seems to still thinks he is doing OK.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  6. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to PM you but your settings are too restrictive.

7. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, I think "Orange is the new yellow-brown-smog!" :eek::rolleyes:;)

8. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't think that is possible.
    I just checked my settings and don't see any way to do that.
    Are you sure it was a PM here.....and not an email ??

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You've forgotten the motors. They have a lot more copper than the alternator and starter, which costs a lot more than the steel and aluminum saved in the smaller engine and transaxle. Plus there is the inverter and other supporting systems for the EV side.

10. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Which is ironic, because it looks like Toyota has the most banked CAFE credits:
    CAFE PIC Credit Status

Higher CAFE standards makes those banked credits more valuable to trade to automakers who need them for compliance.

Then again, Toyota also went all-in on FCVs, so I don't really follow their thought processes.

bisco likes this.
  11. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, when I try to start a conversation with you I get this error message:

20190926_001843.jpg

When I do the same thing to Trollbait I get this:

Screenshot_20190926-002205_Samsung Internet.jpg

12. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think that feature is often called a real time "chat" and is quite different than a "private message".
    If that is true......yes, I block "chats" on every site that has that feature.

EDIT: Upon more searching, it appears that on this site the software authors have chosen to depart from the standard convention.......and that the usual "private messages" may indeed be called "conversations". Now to look for the setting.

Found the setting and it is ON now.
    Try again.

#12 sam spade 2, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  13. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is a huge issue with California being "off-the-reservation"and super strict.
    California was given freedom to fix their local smog problem, and then Calfinorina switched the objective to address climate change for the naiton, and mandate elecric cars etc.

I do not think anyone is opposed to smog reduction, but we do not need a national electric vehicle mandate to accomplish that.
    All of the auto makers are having to put all of their R&D effort in to meeting California extremism mandate goals, and this has effect on the whole Country.

We have to put this genie back in the bottle, and regrettably perhaps the only way to do that is accept Calfirnia standards and mandates as a national mandate on the basis that we take away Cali's unilateral approach.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    idk, i like clean air. it beats lung cancer

CamryDriver likes this.
  15. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How exactly is California creating a "national electric vehicle mandate"?

California is only trying to make rules/laws that apply to California not anywhere else. That several other states follow California's lead is strictly up to each state individually.

Trollbait likes this.
  16. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Los Angeles actually has multiple strikes against its air quality:

(*) Population, very large;

(*) Geography, such that weather inversions severely trap pollution in the basin;

(*) Geology, considerable natural hydrocarbon emissions (off-shore seeps) pre-prime the local atmosphere for photochemical smog, leaving less margin to soak up human emissions before conditions turn bad.

17. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If it were not profitable to sell vehicles in California any given auto maker could just not sell vehicles in California. Think about it. They could just skip making the California specific models and just not sell in that state, but they do make California specific models because they are still making money.

bwilson4web and mjoo like this.
  18. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did it work?

19. noonm

noonm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    California isn't the only area that has a smog problem: AirNow

In fact the South East has many of the same smog-friendly conditions (e.g. hot temps, lots of cars, etc) that the LA basin does. The difference is that California take's the problem seriously while the SE lets their population suffer.

A national EV mandate (de jure or de facto) would have wide ranging benefits across the country, even if it was introduced for fighting climate change.

Note: A big reason Obama's Clean Power Plan was shown to be a net benefit, even though it was to fight climate change, was that it would also greatly reduce smog/smoke air pollutants. The cost increase to consumers/the power industry due to the regulation was vastly outweighed by the reduction in health costs from less asthma, lung problems (think COPD), heart disease, etc. A national EV mandate would probably find the same.

davecook89t likes this.
  20. sam spade 2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Yes.
    Please resist the temptation to turn this discussion into a political fight.
    If you really want to have those discussions, I think there still is a sub-forum under Fred's Pancakes dedicated to that.......but you must ASK to have access to it.