1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk closing problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Paulioats, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Paulioats

Paulioats New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    My trunk, once its closed, open door warning on dashboard will stay on, and the car wont recognize that the trunk is closed, but it’s closed the way it should be. I’m thinking its either problem with the latch or the hook, but cant quite figure out whats wrong. Please help!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a double lock, so can be hooked but not closed all the way. try pushing on it while someone is sitting in the drivers seat.
    make sure there is nothing interfering with the latch

4. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco is correct. It can seem like it’s closed but sometime it can fool you. The hatch needs to be moderately assisted so that the secondary, main latch is tripped.

5. grantb3

grantb3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a problem with the rubber trim and that prevented that last mm of closure or whatever is required. I just pushed the rubber trim back in (the problem was obvious once spotted) and it was OK.

bisco likes this.
  6. Robert Bushinski

Robert Bushinski New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    This is how I fixed our 2012 Prius V latch problem. Trunk would not close. Second latch would not turn the light off on the dash. Weather stripping seemed swollen or hard and there is no adjustment on the latch for it. I popped out the plastic handle for lowering the trunk lid and looked inside. I took out the four fasteners that hold the latch mechanism. I pushed the latch mechanism back and used my dremmel tool to elongate the screw holes towards the ground so the mechanism would not hold the door so tight. Lid now closes properly.

Mendel Leisk likes this.