1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk door freezing shut

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Davidude, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hey all, my trunk door is dumb as hell. The rubber freezes together somehow and I have to use two hands to open the trunk - one holding the button on the handle, and the other hand actually pulling on the bottom of the trunk. If I don't do that, the handle of the car rips off. Does anyone have advice on fixing this?

I've had enough of it today when my battery died and I physically couldn't access my jumper cables, even though all my doors were unlocked. Google shows me people having this same problem but I can't seem to find a solution that would work.

Priuslover09 likes this.
  2. Priuslover09

Priuslover09 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Was the hybrid battery that died?

3. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Just the 12v, I have some things plugged into an always-on fuse on the car. It hasn't ran in 2 and a half days because I've been dead sick in bed. I never go a day without driving so I'm not worried about it. I noticed my hybrid battery was totally full though, wish I could hijack it to charge the 12v.

4. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is it the rubber weather-proofing around the door that freezes and gets stuck or the rubber covering the latch control which becomes rigid in the cold and will not release the latch? On at least one occasion, I was unable to get the latch to release and just gave up trying to get whatever it was I thought I needed. I now keep my small tool kit and jump kit for our Gen 2 under the passenger seat. I'm assuming Toyota had enough complaints about this problem with the Gen 2 that they changed the design for subsequent generations. It has not happened yet with our Gen 4. (Fingers crossed).

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Spray the rubber gaskets around the offending doors with silicone spray lube, then smear it around with a small piece of paper or cloth towel.

But even that won't help if the weather conditions are right for accumulating LARGE of ice.

Where in Georgia do you live ? North mountains ??

WilDavis likes this.
  6. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    It sounds like you need a jump kit to attach to your under hood jump points. It would be worth buying anyway, in case a friend or family member needs a jump sometime, since using your car for that purpose is likely to damage its electronics. Also, the Prius 12V does not have enough juice to start a regular car. (Ask me how I know.)

7. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I live in the mountains, it's about 40 degrees right now but I shouldn't have trouble opening a door at those temps. The car went to Colorado where it saw 10 degree weather and didn't struggle too much. That's a good suggestion, I'm going to give that a shot. Thanks!

8. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    mine can be difficult sometimes. its not frozen with ice, just seems like the seal is acting like a suction cup. pulling hard on the trim panel will break it, so I just keep steady pressure on it until it lets go. I'm thinking Sam has a good idea with the silicone, which I will try.

9. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II

Check the 12V battery. Also, the micro-switch inside the handle might be getting flakey. (there are many threads about replacing the switch hereabouts - the rubber gasket-thingy starts disintegrating and getting gross!) …but when you go to open the lift-gate, you should hear a faint "click" as the switch operates and releases the catch. Also, the hinges of the gate might benefit from some lube (…as well as the two struts (…one on each side!) Good luck! ;)

BTW you should be able to access the jumper-points from under the hood (see other threads) :)

10. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could try some kind of lubricant on the rubber to prevent it from sticking. Maybe even a light coating of oil wiped on it with a clean rag..

Another issue is that what you describe as a handle is NOT a handle. That rear garnish was designed very poorly and really will only withstand pushing up the latch to unlock the hatch. You should ALWAYS lift the hatch by the bottom of the metal down by the bumper. If you always lift from the rubber button area that plastic garnish will break off often. It would help too if you make sure that the struts on the hatch aren't a little worn out, meaning the hatch doesn't pop open easily enough to get your fingers under it.

11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Silicone spray (as mentioned above.) < $10

2. Jump pack. <$100

3. Move further South.

:cool: