Trunk-mount bike rack vs. hitch

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by kayakgirl, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Ranko Kohime

Ranko Kohime Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The trailer will affect FE of course, but the receiver alone will not.

Practically ALL of the hitches available for the Prius mount the same, and hide away about the same. I bought the Curt 11473 as a replacement for the previous one I bought, which was a Reese, and the Curt seems more sturdily built (I was rear-ended, and the old hitch took the majority of the impact and is bent, so I don't trust it anymore)

I recommend, no matter what you're hauling, to get a hitch tightener, as the rattle from the drawbar rattling in the receiver will drive you mad. Something like this

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Normally the most discreet hitch is the Torklift Ecohitch. Unfortunately it is also the most pricey:

Torklift Central | Prius - Toyota - EcoHitch - Rear Mounted Receiver Hitches - Trailer Hitches

But I hadn't realized until now that the Gen4 non-plugin is not shown on their product list. Has anyone heard why?

(Disclosure: I have two of these on different cars, and the business is 'sort of' in my neighborhood, regionally speaking.)

3. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mine is a Curt hitch, purchased from etrailer.com. The bike rack is same manufacturer, but I think I purchased from Amazon. I just moved my son and pulled a 1500 pound load over two mountain passes with no issues. I monitored the vitals using an iPhone app (OBD Fusion). No issues. No trouble keeping 70 to 75 MPH at any time.

I installed it myself. A perfect diy project. No special tools or skills needed.

Pulling a load can halve your mpg, but light loads about 10 percent. None of the safety systems were disabled, but I have a plain jane early Two without the sonar radar.

4. dbf

dbf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, I'm guessing there is no concern for voiding the warrantee by installing a hitch?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Installation and use does not automatically void all or any warranties. Warranty providers must provide a reasonable explanation about how the modification lead to the failure in question, before having legal ability to dishonor the warranty coverage.

6. dbf

dbf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two