1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trunk only opens with two hands

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Guinneapigoutlet, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Guinneapigoutlet

Guinneapigoutlet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know that there are lots of trunk issues and I've experienced two so far. My button melted (replaced with spare part) and the garnish broke off. However, there's another issue which I hope you could help me fix.

I cannot open the trunk just by pulling on the garnish. When I push the button, I hear a clicking sound which must be the trunk unlocking. But I need to actually grab and pull the trunk door to open it. Is this normal? I assume no, so which part would I need to fix so the trunk slides right open when I push the button?

Thanks!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

Not sure if the trunk hatch will ever pop open like on some other vehicles, you will still need to lift it up to get it started. Best not to lift from the garnish if possible, it can pop off.

You can replace the worn out 'lift supports' : 2007 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.5L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Lift Support | RockAuto

Different part numbers will work, which offer more or less pounds of lifting force (do the research, our search feature is currently working).

Some think having to much 'lift' causes the hatch to bounce when it reaches the fully open position, which may cause stress on the hinges or hair line cracks with potential water leakage down the road. It could also be caused by the total extended length of the life support, and using something shorter may not produce the noticed bounce.

We replaced one side on one car (no bounce), and both sides on another (has a bounce).

Be sure to let us know what you come up with, as more data points will help future forum members who use the search feature ;)

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say what is normal over the internet. when i squeeze my button, the hatch door pops up a quarter inch or so, and i pull up with my hand until the struts take over and raise it all the way up.

WilDavis likes this.
  4. Guinneapigoutlet

Guinneapigoutlet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you so much for these answers! I re-read my post and perhaps I have to be a bit clearer.

I don't expect the trunk to slide open by itself after I have pushed the button. When I push the button I hear what sounds like an unlocking mechanism. But at that point I cannot just pull open the trunk lid from the trunk handle. It feels like the trunk isn't fully unlocked. The only way I can open the trunk is by pushing the button and simultaneously pulling on the bottom edge of the trunk lid.

The desired outcome would be to push the button and just pull on the handle where the button is located to open it.

Is this a common problem? How could I identify which part is broken?

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    W/O seeing how you attempt to open the trunk, its hard to say. The procedure you state sounds suspect to me.

1) keep the black trunk release button DEPRESSED
    2) wait a second
    3) LIFT UP on the garnish. Remember the trunk is hinged, thus lift up.
    4) once you know the trunk is clear of the latch, release the black trunk release button from step 1.