1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trust a local garage for routine maintenance?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Chucktr, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Chucktr

Chucktr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    We have 3 vehicles in our family–2 Chevs and a 2015 Prius. My local garage is reliable and services a wide range of makes/models. I'm wondering if anyone's experience is the Prius is so quirky only the dealership can work on it?
    Thanks!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oil changes and tire rotations are pretty routine. Brakes I do not know, there are some Prius specific gotchas. The car has a propensity to spit out caliper pistons if the 12 volt’s not disconnected. The transaxle needs a proprietary fluid (some will argue no). Brake fluid changes require the car to be in a special invalid mode. Coolant changes (plural) are a little tricky, not worth the risk?

Merkey likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    In terms of stuff that's likely to happen to a 2015 prius c? they can handle the oil changes, filter changes, tire work, 12v battery, power door lock actuators, spark plugs and lamp replacements just fine.

Coolant, brake & exhaust work: Just ask them if they're confident.

Air conditioning & hybrid drive: ok now that's the tricky stuff, probably best held for dealer.

#3 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jan 26, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i do, but i'd ask them about familiarity if you need a hybrid related repair