1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trust

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by abdullah arslan, Dec 19, 2021.

1. abdullah arslan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm just curious is it weird that I dont trust mechanic or dealer? I.e my 2010 was getting lower MPGs nowadays around 38-40, and after hearing squeezing noise from rear, saw that pads worn out (Probably dealer installed previous pads). While replacing realized that there was a uneven worn out between left and right due some caliper pistons were stuck. Did clean'em out and lubricate properly and today a flawless 250k trip got 45mpg. That's one thing why I DIY almost for anything. I prefer to use best parts, so I assume this is win-win situation for both spending and quality of work

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Threej, 2010moneypit? and PriusCamper like this.
  2. 2010moneypit?

2010moneypit? Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's like the dentist. if you don't understand what they're doing, you don't know what they're doing. and often, they don't either.

dig4dirt likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're waiting for Wikipedia to be bought by your friendly neighborhood Internet giant, don't hold your breath. Wikipedia is a non-commercial website run by the Wikimedia Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization based in San Francisco. We are supported by donations and grants, and our mission is to bring free knowledge to everyone.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Ten_things_you_may_not_know_about_Wikipedia

Mike

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::confused::confused::confused::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_Oo_O:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

WHERE did you get the idea that "I" was waiting or Wikipedia to be bought by your friendly neighborhood Internet giant????????

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Two things can be true at once.

A 503.c3 CAN be a despotic, disreputable, unreliable burning trash-heap that preys on misinformation/disinformation.
    They can ALSO be a convenient and accurate source about a rhyming Russian proverb.

Wikipedia IS, after all - WIKIPEDIA.
    I was going to playfully poke at them for the cultural misappropriation, but they probably think that they're "above" all of that....and I'm from Indiana, so I don't have a canine in that ruckus.

That pretty much makes them as good (OR as bad) as the $cientific community - or? - many 503.c3s.

Like stealerships...mechanics...politicians....peer-review $cience, etc.....they can (and do!) profit from people who do not check their work. ;)

I'm sure that that there are some pretty good folks over at wiki, and I'm sure that they THINK that they call balls and strikes in a "fair and balanced" way.
    In other words...the Wikis are sorta like dealership mechanics in that they sometimes profit from people's reluctance to do the hard work of trying to gather information for themselves.

HOWEVER (comma!!!!!!!!) UNLIKE TOYOTA?
    I've never caught them trying to fleece me for bucks.
    I'm not even sure that they CAN, but that's me.

ACTUAL mileage WILL vary.

Don't like 'em?
    Don't pay 'em! ;)

#8 ETC(SS), Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    One other thing ... it's better not to think of 'wiki' as a nice short word that means Wikipedia.

A wiki is a piece of software, that lets you build a web site that works a certain way. There are all sorts of examples, DokuWiki, TikiWiki, ikiwiki, MediaWiki (the one Wikipedia happens to use), XWiki, and on and on. There is even one built into this site (look at the menu bar up top, third from the left), though it could stand to get used more. Most places I've ever worked have had wikis (yes, plural, rarely just one). Check the web sites for a few prominent software projects and you will likely find there is a wiki there for hashing out design and development.

'Wiki' is something that the world has countless thousands of. Wikipedia is ... one particular project, that happens to operate one of those.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  10. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So, if Jimmy Wales was running an encyclopedia project on Excel, and you had taken to calling it "spreadsheet", and somebody made the simple point that "spreadsheet" is a basic tool used daily for thousands of purposes and you were just plain misusing the word as if it were a synonym for one specific project that happens to use one, you would respond with some kind of riff on insensitivity and Chief Wahoo?

#11 ChapmanF, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
  12. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just quoted, in its entirety, their own paragraph about their ownership.

Mike

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I suppose there's a case to be made that the [quote]...[/quote] markup could have made that more obvious.

It's kind of what I was guessing about halfway through the paragraph, but I didn't go there to check.

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Only if they were "sensitive" about it..... ;)

Honestly, I was just poking fun....:ROFLMAO:

15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV