1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trusted Prius mechanics in Connecticut?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by berderder, Jul 3, 2020.

1. berderder

berderder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

I live in Connecticut, Fairfield County.

Do we know any independent, trusted Prius mechanics here?

I don't want to overspend at the dealer, and I am not sure if the other shops in my area are familiar enough with the hybrid. One shop already told me they are iffy.

Any recommendations?

mbren likes this.
  2. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What are you looking to have done?

I'm many cases, regular mechanics, especially if they work on Toyotas regularly, can do most repairs. Of course, the hybrid system is an exception. Dealerships are the expensive choice, but at least the warranty on their repairs is long, usually a year. And there aren't a whole lot of aftermarket hybrid components around (unless reconditioned).

berderder likes this.
  3. berderder

berderder Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah this is basically the route I’m going to take. Already have a regular mechanic I think I’m going to use. Btw, brake pads. Tech stream isn’t involved with that right? Just the brake fluid flush?

4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You don't need Techstream for the pads, or even for fluid flushing. Check out the sticky Nutz About Bolts videos, at the top of Maintenance and Repair.

Raytheeagle and berderder like this.
  5. SB6

SB6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For brake pads, I would caution you to either disconnect the 12V battery, or make sure the smart key stays far away from the car. This is to avoid letting the car pressurize the brakes, which would pop the brake pistons out if there isn't anything physically stopping them (normally the brake pads).

I don't know if there's a Techstream method for brake pads, but if there is, that would probably take care of this issue.

6. mbren

mbren New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Also looking for a mechanic in the area, can you recommend? Looking to fix my horn. Turns out it’s not the relays.