1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying my best to understand best practices for high milage

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by bikeboy999, Jan 5, 2014.

1. bikeboy999

bikeboy999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have changed a lot of my thinking how to drive now I have a Prius. I no longer hurry to the next red light (like the sheeple), and I try to play the lights all the time. I have even converted my spouse to understand, that the people in the cars behind are not paying my gas. So now I have always left the automatic temp run the a/c compressor in my previous vehicle. And after seeing the 17page post on engine blocking makes me wonder if this is a bad practice. I live in eastern ontario where we have had some temps colder than the south pole in the last week. So is it best to use the auto temp selector (which runs the a/c) or set the temp to 20C and manually control the fan speed?

Brian

2. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    BikeBoy999 (Brian) – I see you came aboard PriusChat back in 2008, then driving an Other Non-Hybrid.” Welcome to the Hybrid “Hive,” with you now piloting a fuel-sipping P-Mobile. I would request that you update the Other Non-Hybrid” still shownto the generation and type of Prius you are driving.

Pertinent to your current Northern Temperate Zone “Cold Ops” in Canada, let me share some material on cold climes operation that discusses considerations associated with employing “Grille Blocking” to aid in boosting the running MPG in a Prius. This is information I recently shared with a Prius owner-driver operating in far northlands of the continental USA. As an FWIW FYI, I have extracted this Grille Blocking material from my "Ten Tips..." website:

"As an additional aid to accelerating engine compartment warm-up and keeping and running the ICE in the "Sweet Spot" temperature range that delivers Max-MPG-FE, some drivers operating in frigid Northern Temperate Zone environments (≤ 41°F/5°C Ambient Outside Air Temperatures [OAT]) partially block some of the space in part of the Prius front grille air intake louvers with cylindrical foam insulation like that used to insulate hot water pipes in your home.

NOTE OF CAUTION: Operating the ICE with the front air intake grille louvers partially or completely blocked off with foam insulation when Ambient Outside Air Temperatures (O.A.T.) exceed 41°F/5°C may result in harmful and damaging overheating of the ICE and propulsion components. Grille Louver Blocking should only be done when outside ambient temperatures will remain at or below 41°F/5°C throughout the day. Leaving engine compartment ventilation louver blocking material in the grille when O.A.T. temperatures rise above 41°F/5°C may result in damage to the engine, inverter and transmission.

People who venture to use grille louver blocking above 41°F/5°C usually have after-market ScanGauge II or similar add-on instrumentation installed so they can monitor the temperatures of the ICE and key propulsion components to keep them from overheating and being damaged."

Additionally, in response to your “Trying My Best To Understand ‘Best Practices’ For High Mileage,” I would invite you to click on the e-link in my signature, and give the “10 ‘Best Practices’ For Achieving ‘$tellar’ Fuel Economy In An OEM Instrumented Prius” material in my Ten Tips Guide a studied read. The effort will serve to make you a bit “Hybrid $marter,” and, if the tips and “Best Practices,” therein, are applied and practiced by you (some of which as you are already practicing) they likely will work to incrementally raise your current wintertime MPGs there in Canada.

Have A High MPG New Year 2014!!!

3. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    1st, it doesn't actually run the A/C compressor all the time, but you can run auto mode and turn the A/C off - the system will stay in auto mode. Plus, if you use ECO mode the blower speed is limited in auto mode.

The main thing you want to do in cold weather is avoid short trips. If that's not possible then get a block heater and use it.