1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to buy my first Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by joekenha, Apr 8, 2018.

1. joekenha

joekenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just came from a local and well-respected dealership. They have a 2017 Prius Two on sale for $19500 with less than 14K miles. It's also been certified by Toyota. It was a rental, but I've bought former rental cars in the past without issue, so that doesn't bother me. I did a test drive today and I really loved it. However, I promised myself that no matter what number they put in front of me, I would not buy today. Well, I told them that and they immediately dropped the price by $2000. I still said no and they dropped it further to $15,000 and some change including my trade-in. According to Car Gurus, it's been sitting on the lot for over 50 days and I'm sure they're desperate to get rid of it. I'm just wondering what the PriusChat community thinks. I'm sure it's a good deal, but could I possibly get a better price out of them? Or is the fact that they're willing to drop two thousand dollars in a single offer a red flag? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, this forum has been wonderful to read through and very helpful as well. Thank you to all of you whose posts have helped educate me about this amazing vehicle!

2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sounds like a great deal. Car fax?

3. joekenha

joekenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Carfax came back clean. I think I might be the proud owner of a Toyota Prius by this time tomorrow.

ThinkingAboutAPrius and krmcg like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like it could be - can you get an independent inspection to verify that it's good.

Have you driven it - does it drive well?

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. joekenha

joekenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It drove really well and there was no indication that there was anything wrong with it. The main thing is that there's a couple dings on the back bumper. However the paint used to fall off my first car so I can live with a ding or two.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  6. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Pending the advice in the posts above, I’d say that the 15K price is firmly in the good deal territory. Especially if there’s nothing wrong with the car.

krmcg likes this.
  7. joekenha

joekenha New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should mention that everything is still under the original warranty.

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    A small clarification: Toyota sponsors the Toyota Certified Used Vehicle program, provides the warranty, and sets the program requirements and inspection criteria, but the dealer buys the used car (at wholesale or as a trade-in), inspects it, and decides whether to pay a fee to Toyota to include the vehicle in the program.

Toyota has the right to audit the inspections, but in practice, only a dealer technician, not a Toyota representative, is likely to have examined the vehicle. Depending on your confidence in the dealer, this may or may not be important to you, of course. If you have any doubt, @alanclarkeau makes a good suggestion to get an independent inspection.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  9. syncro87

syncro87 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In general, it's a buyer's market for the Prius in the USA right now. Relatively low fuel prices combined with the polarizing styling of the 4th gen car equal slow sales. Additionally, the market in general is shifting to SUVs and away from cars. A bit of a perfect storm right now eroding the market for the Prius. If you want a Prius, and you fall into the camp of people who don't mind the current aesthetics, a good time to buy,...especially used, model year 2016+.

Dealers want things that have high churn, i.e., they don't linger on the lot. In most parts of the United States, a used Prius sitting on your lot is not particularly desirable merchandise at this point in time. The pendulum of demand may swing back in the Prius' favor at some point, but assuming the car checks out, the current situation is to your advantage, and it seems like you found a nice deal on one.

#9 syncro87, Apr 8, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    2 Red Flags...

Rental Car have been abused and barely maintained.
    Been sitting on the lot for 50 days? Get a "New" 12 VDC battery with the deal is you do buy it.

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not necessarily - yes, that's possible, but most are well maintained. You can generally tell abuse by what the car looks like and smells like inside (smokers).

I know one person bought one which he worked out had been a company car during an employee's contract - driven by only one driver. I wouldn't see the 12V battery as a deal breaker, though - they're relatively cheap compared with the savings you have.

12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry, but I worked at a Rental Agency while in Tech School, and have at lot of experience dealing with them...behind the wall. But...you might get lucky.

Wish you the best.

13. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might be a dealer's daily rental or loaner car. Get them to through in a platinum 125k. warranty and you have a GREAT deal!. With just a few exceptions basically the whole car is covered for 125k. mi. so that takes care of the rental issue. By the way I got my 12 Prius and did that since it was the dealers daily rental. Now it's got 162k., no issues.