1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to Decide: 2018 Prius Two or Prius Three?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Unionrep2, May 21, 2018.

1. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We are going to be buying our 4th Prius soon. Previously had a 2006, currently have a 2009 and a 2014 (all purchased new). We'll sell/trade-in the 2009. The 2014 is a level three(3). At the time of purchase it cost about $1,500 more than the level two(2). If memory serves me correctly, the level three had improvements (versus the level two) of: Smart Key on three doors, rear view camera, integrated navigation system, Entune system. For only $1,500 it wasn't a difficult choice and level threes were readily available, equipped the way we wanted and numerous enough to produce competitive bidding.

The 2018 level three costs about $2,000 more than the level two. The level three has the main advantages of Smart Key on three doors, integrated navigation with 7 inch screen, /Entune Premium Audio. We have always liked the Smart Key on three doors. While we like the navigation screen on and sometimes use it, we also bring a Garmin GPS along because the integrated nav maps are getting older and we could buy a new Garmin for each time we would have to update the maps at the dealership. We have not made much use of the Entune system. Further complicating our decision is that in our state the Prius Level Two is readily available all over the state with the equipment we are willing to pay for as well as color schemes; the Prius Level Three is not readily available across the state. This lack of availability makes the competitive bidding process less likely.

This is not about whether we can afford certain levels of the Prius, it is about whether the level three is worth $2,000 more than the level two. We appreciate that only we can really decide this, but any thoughts about the level three versus the level two would be valued by us. (Sorry for the long post)

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Three adds:

• Automatic headlights
    • Larger 7” touchscreen
    • Integrated navigation
    • Entune App Suite
    • AM/FM cache radio
    • SiriusXM satellite radio
    • 3-Dr SKS
    • Remote illuminated entry
    • SofTex-trimmed steering wheel
    • Qi wireless phone charger
    • Outboard vent trim accent (piano black or turquoise depending on interior colour
    • More sound insulation (firewall)
    • Soft-touch upper front door trim
    • SofTex-trimmed door armrest area
    • Semi-gloss black or pearl white centre console trim (depending on interior colour

For me, 3-dr SKS is a must. We’ve had it on all of our Prii (2005, 2010, 2016). I appreciate the softer, more upscale materials as oppose front the hard plastic trim like the Gen 2 and 3. Also, supposedly, the Two/Two Eco and below have less sound insulation for lower weight but it’s not explicitly mentioned. (Could be just the Two Eco)

RCO and eustachio like this.
  3. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could consider the Two Eco which has the 3 door SKS and higher mpg, but no spare tire, rear wiper, or cargo cover.

I'm renting a Two right now, and I thought I'd find lack of 3 door SKS a deal breaker, but setting all doors to unlock with the driver's door is pretty close.

If I were going for a 3, it would be the touring edition, for the Softex seats. But the 17" wheels bring down FE, and I'm starting to get addicted to mild hypermiling

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  4. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the detailed reply. We have really enjoyed the 3-dr SKS. The question is whether some of the other features of the level three make the $2040 difference justifiable. I’m hoping others will comment on their experience with the integrated navigation, Entune etc. Don’t know if I should repost in the gen 4 forum to get more replies? Thanks again for all you do on this site!

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's tough to say since different people put different values on the same items listed above. It'll be harder if the dealers are willing to give a greater discount on the Two vs. the Three, widening the gap.

I can move it to the Gen 4 forum for you.

RCO likes this.
  6. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I’m familiar with setting all doors to unlock with the driver’s door and as my wife and talked about it, that may take some of the pain out of not having 3 door SKS. As you have driven the level Two any additional thoughts about it versus level Three? Appreciate your perspective. Thanks!
    I would appreciate you moving this to the Gen 4 for me. Thank you.

#6 Unionrep2, May 23, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
    RCO likes this.
  7. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm planning to buy in September, so am currently in research mode.

Choosing a Prius trim seems like an exercise in compromise!

My ideal Prius would have
    - the fuel economy of the Two Eco, or even better, the prime
    - 3 door SKS
    - BSM/IPA/RCTA
    - 5 seats
    - Softex

The 5 seats are not really negotiable.

For me, the Two is pretty exceptional value- and there are more of them, so easier to haggle with dealers.

I don't need the nav of the three, I find Google maps far better than any in car nav system.

I'd go for a three touring if it didn't get worse mpg due to the 17" wheels.

The Two Eco has 3 door SKS, but lacks the BSM safety package that I have grown to love- intelligent parking assist and clearance sonar are ingenious!

Before I buy I'll take a proper look at a three and even a four, but having done 1000 miles in a two over the past 3 weeks, it lacks for very little- and the fuel economy is nuts. Did a 200 mile stint today including extended cruising around 70mph, full luggage and 3 passengers, 62 mpg.

The more I drive the car the more I like it, it's an amazing piece of engineering, and imo, aesthetics.

Tande, RCO and krmcg like this.
  8. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for your further reply. Your very long "test drive" is providing you (and others) with some excellent information. You are certainly correct that Toyota trim levels can require compromise. You are right about there being more Two's around, at least my in my state of Wisconsin. It has been suggested that the Two & Two Eco may have less insulation. How have you found cabin noise? Do you know which tire brand is on your Two?

RCO likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the flipside, the Four/Four Touring will have front door acoustic glass for a quieter ride (similar to the Prime).

Here's the part that says "except base grade" for the sound insulation

upload_2018-5-24_9-47-25.png
    upload_2018-5-24_9-46-36.png

RCO and eustachio like this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For me, on October 2016, the price difference between the Two and Three was not worth it to me. I have my 1 door SKS set to unlock all doors. One of my requirements was a spare tire so the Two Eco was not a consideration. The One was not available at that time either.

For me, I made the right choice. I kinda wished I had the added safety features added in mid-2017 though.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The one thing I would want is the 3-door SKS. All the other stuff, meh. The softex steering wheel: actually a negative; I've seen a few reports here that it's fraying.

And yeah: two grand for 3-door SKS rankles.

12. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $2040 difference is only on MSRP, sometimes depending on local market condition, you can get better discount in higher trims if they are not selling well. Find a dealer that has only 3 in stock and see if they will match the quote you got on 2 from other dealers. You will be surprised. Good luck!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My current car is a Fusion Hybrid, and when I first got into the Two, cabin noise seemed noticeably louder. But we were on very rough pavement near SeaTac. On smoother surfaces, the Prius is very quiet. (FWIW, on previous trips to that area in a few other rental cars, I've been appalled at the roughness of the pavement, have noticed it in a few parts of WA)

Put it this way, I find it perfectly fine and would happily in a Two, although the sound dampening highlighted by @Tideland for the four has caught my attention.

It's running Dunlop Enasaves.

14. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it possible that “”base grade” is a reference to the One?

The addition of the safety package plus features has been a real inducement for me to get a new Prius now (and get rid of our 2009 Prius). All the safety features combined in the Two and above levels (except Two Eco) are really amazing and a great value.

Knowing what is now available at each trim level would you make the same choice i.e. the Two?

As much as we enjoy the 3-door SKS (have it in both our Prii) I need to find other features we really value to get the Three or above unless I can find an approach to lessen the price gap.

I don’t have experience with what you suggest. Last Prius (2014 Three) was purchased via email bidding (19 dealers participated) with multiple rounds until I felt I had a “market price” and I was pleased with results. Got the car/features we wanted. But this time the situation is somewhat different with the Two versus higher levels. Will have to think about your suggestion. Thanks

#14 Unionrep2, May 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2018
  15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The "One" didn't exist in 2016 and my document came out in 2015 with the launch of the 2016 Prius.

However, it's possible they upgraded the Two with sound insulation now that they have the One grade (like they did with the wheel covers - now the One has the base wheel covers and the Two has the two-toned wheel covers like the Three and Four models). We really don't know.

16. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeh, I realized you wrote "Prius Level Three is not readily available across the state. This lack of availability makes the competitive bidding process less likely." Maybe current market situation in your area is more favorable for bidding on Two for more discounts. The case in point I mentioned was my purchase of Prius Prime last year. A local dealer did not have any Plus trim (lowest trim that is about $2K lower than next level trim Premium). I wanted a lowest trim to save money as well as having option I wanted (cloth seats and smaller LCD with real knobs), but the dealer offered me price on Premium trim that was lower than quote I received on Plus trim from distant dealer. In NE with deep discount and factory incentive plus federal credit makes Prius Prime cheaper than Prius Two.

RCO likes this.
  17. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, we've made decision regarding the 2018 Prius Two versus Prius Three. While, overall, we thought we would be satisfied with the Two, we didn't want to "step back" from the Prius Three (2014) we have now. I appreciate the helpful thoughts received here. Now I am in the midst of negotiating for the Three. As I've done in the past, I use the Internet to gather information about the dealers' inventories and then contact them by email specificing what exactly I want (which I know most have) and the pricing offer structure. On our 2014 Three 19 of 21 Toyota dealers contacted, participated. I did multiple rounds. This time I'm limiting the search to eight dealers (6 have the exact car). I'm hoping that is enough to establish a market. We'll see how it goes.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a plan, all the best!(y)

19. eustachio

eustachio Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interested to hear how this goes, could be helpful for when I buy- thanks!

20. Unionrep2

Unionrep2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We bought a 2018 Prius Three (with all Weather Floor Liners/Cargo Tray Plus) in Hypersonic Red with black cloth interior. MSRP for this vehicle was $28,273. We paid a cash price (which includes possible dealer fees-this dealer had none) of $25,599. This price does NOT reflect a trade-in (our 2009 Prius), nor the Toyota $500 customer cash rebate. It also does NOT include taxes and a state title fee. A 9.5% discount off MSRP is not impressive but acceptable. As mentioned in a previous post above, I did a limited, email process (only 8 dealers) and tried to use the end of the month time period as leverage. But I didn't handle the timing issue well. Sent out emails day before Memorial Day so I had four business days to work with. But Memorial Day wasn't helpful. As a result, I only did one round (I normally do two) and took the best offer and reached out to the dealer I wanted and had them just beat that offer. Could I have gotten a better price with more time and effort? No doubt. But my primary goal is to try to establish the dealer market during a given period of time so that I have a sense of what a reasonable price will be. I have long given up the notion of getting the "best deal". We will never know what the dealer is making on any given sale (there are so many different incentives for dealers). And I don't care what the dealer makes. I care that I'm at least getting a fairly reasonable price given the reality of the current market.
    I did waste a lot of time having to clarify the dealer offers. This was in spite of me being absolutely clear what exactly I wanted (which I knew most of them had) and what they should and should not include in their offer price. Next time I will follow the official Motor Vehicle Purchase Contract (Wisconsin's name) and ask them to provide a detailed "out the door" price. (Which may not reflect the actual price if I later choose to trade-in a vehicle). But it will provide a better "apples to apples" offer comparison. The Prius Three is filled with safety features and seems better, albeit on very limited experience, to be quieter, better riding, and bit improved on handling. Now, we need to read through the manuals etc. to learn more about the car!