1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Trying to decide in a hurry and have questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ghostrider, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

I got an offer on a car I wasn't expecting to sell so I am quickly looking for a Prius. I know that since
    I live in Austin there isn;t a chance so I am wondering about the following. I want package 1 or 3.

1. Anyone have a recommendation other than calling all the dealers in the state
    2. Color - I love silver but am getting tired of it on other cars...How well does barcelona red or the dark grey
    hide swirl marks... Also any opinions on interior color - I think I want grey
    3. Can you still purchase the extended warranty after the fact - I am thinking of using the rebate next year
    4. Can you add something like the lighted mirror later on

2. bweather

bweather New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Aug 9 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]300561[/snapback]</div>
    1. I'd try searching for the web sites of dealers in your area. When I was looking, most Toyota dealers seemed to have their inventories listed online. The Prius come and go pretty quickly, so the inventory might not be correct, but it is a place to start. You could also try going to the Toyota site, building what you want, and then doing a search on matches with your local dealers. The dealers' individual site inventories are more accurate, though.

2. My Prius is Barcelona Red. I actually prefer blues and greys much more than I do reds, but I was pleasantly surprised on how nice the red looks; I like it a lot. Have had my car less than a week, though, so I haven't washed it yet - do not know about hiding the swirls. My interior is beige, and I like how it looks, but I think I'd like the dark grey better.

3. Indeed you can. My understanding is that you can do it anytime before the original 3 year/36000 mile warranty expires. You can also get the extended warranty from any dealership; you don't have to get it at the dealership you get the car from. I would hazard to guess that the extended warranty available here on PriusChat is going to be better than the price the dealership you purchase a car from would give you. Check that out.

4. do not know. Sorry. :)

3. McShemp

McShemp New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ghostrider @ Aug 9 2006, 09:05 PM) [snapback]300561[/snapback]</div>
    A few weeks ago - there was a thread on expanded searches - there were reports of cars on the lot in OK. Was that your thread?

Red/grey is a great combo.
    Anytime before you reach three years or 36k miles.

I'm not sure what lighted mirror you're referring to.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1) Can't answer. Sorry

2) The red is really bright so it should be okay. I would imagine grey would show the marks more easily. I have the beige interior and I like the black/beige combo but I have to take care of it moreso than my Dad's Camry with the grey interior

3) Anytime before the bumper-to-bumper warranty is up

4) If you're talking about the vanity mirror, it's already illuminated. It has a switch though so you have to turn it on AND have the mirror cover slide open.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What rebate?

6. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Aug 10 2006, 08:00 AM) [snapback]300737[/snapback]</div>
    Well the tax refund - not really a rebate but I still should get a chekc back from Uncle Sam

7. maknowlton

maknowlton New Member

1. Well, use the internet and these forums to their best advantage... haunt 'order tracking' and 'dealers & pricing' - you may see dealers close (enough) to you that people have had good experiences with. Or take a couple of hours and call a lot of dealers- won't take too long.

2. I have red with gray interior, and I love it. Really shines in the sun, too. Haven't had any swirl mark issues yet (but car is only 6 weeks old) :D

3. Yes, as someone before me said, you have 3 years or 36,000 miles to decide if you want one, and if you do, the best price on it is through these forums. And yes, you'll have the $ when you get your tax refund next spring.

4. Vanity mirror? Rearview mirror? more specifics, please.

8. timmie88

timmie88 New Member

My dealer when purchasing my Prius, told me that if I buy the extended warranty through them, at the end of the warranty period, if I had not used the extended warranty (the Prius required no repairs), I would get a full refund of the purchase price of the warranty. This was only available when buying the warranty when the car was new, and if you purchased it later there was no refund.

Anyone else hear of this?

I didn't buy it from the dealer knowing I could get it cheaper and later...

Tim

9. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Lighted mirror - are youtalking about the "homelink" system? since I don't think it comes stock on a pkg. #1 or #3. or are you talking about the side mirror turn signal option, which you have to add later yourself.

I have an '05 "Salsa Red" which is a much deeper red and have had no problems with any type of hand wax showing swirls. The shine is deep and dark!